History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, Gatepiers, Screens and Attached Lodge Approximately 230 Metres North North West of Kingston House, Kingstone Bagpuize Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6802 / 51°40'48"N

Longitude: -1.4115 / 1°24'41"W

OS Eastings: 440784

OS Northings: 198106

OS Grid: SU407981

Mapcode National: GBR 6X1.PXN

Mapcode Global: VHC0P.H147

Entry Name: Gates, Gatepiers, Screens and Attached Lodge Approximately 230 Metres North North West of Kingston House, Kingstone Bagpuize Park

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048375

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249585

Location: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston Bagpuize with Southmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

KINGSTON BAGPUIZE WITH SOUTHMOOR ABINGDON ROAD
SU4098 (West side)
11/92 Gates, gatepiers, screens and
09/02/66 attached lodge approx. 230m
NNW of Kingston House,
Kingstone Bagpuize Park
(Formerly listed as screen and
gates at entrance to Kingston
House Park by Church)

GV II

Entrance gates and gatepiers. Early C18. Limestone: rusticated and ashlar piers
have moulded plinth and entablature with ball and urn finials: urns of central
piers are filled with finely-carved flowers. Fine wrought-iron double gates have
scrolled undulate band and crested overthrow arch: similar pedestrian gates to
sides. Flanking screens divided into 2 bays each by ironwork piers. The
Tudor-style lodge attached to left was built in 1865, when the gates were moved
to their present position: of limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, stone
slate roof, chamfered doorway and mullioned windows.
(John Beitman and John Piper (Ed), Murray's Architectural guide, Berkshire,
1949, p.131; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.160).


Listing NGR: SU4078498106

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.