History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White Hart Inn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fyfield and Tubney, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.686 / 51°41'9"N

Longitude: -1.3887 / 1°23'19"W

OS Eastings: 442356

OS Northings: 198760

OS Grid: SU423987

Mapcode National: GBR 7YD.9Q7

Mapcode Global: VHC0H.WW6C

Entry Name: The White Hart Inn

Listing Date: 6 August 1952

Last Amended: 6 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249560

Location: Fyfield and Tubney, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Fyfield and Tubney

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Fyfield with Tubney

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kingston Bagpuze

Listing Text

FYFIELD AND TUBNEY MAIN ROAD
SU4298 (North side)
Fyfield
12/62 The White Hart Inn
06/08/52 (Formerly listed as White Hart
Inn)

GV II*

Almshouses and chantry priest's house, now public house. Mid C15, built for Sir
John Golafre after his death in 1442. Restored 1963. Roughcast, with ashlar
dressings: left wing, originally timber-framed, is now rendered with main
elements of frame and tension braces exposed to front and rear. Gabled stone
slate roof; tapered external end stacks of stone rubble finished in brick.
3-unit hall range of open hall and service rooms to right, with parlour cross
wing to left. 2 storeys: 4-window range. Hall range: C20 door to screens with
stone surrounds and C20 door to right. C18 two-, 3- and 4-light restored
casements, except two 3- and 5-light ovolo-moulded wood-mullioned windows with
leaded-lights to top right: stone dressings to blocked C15 window which lit left
bay of hall, Parlour wing: similar C18 casements, and blocked C15 plain
wood-mullioned window in right side wall. Rear: stone dressings to C15 screens
doorway and blocked hall window; parlour wing has blocked C15 plain
wood-mullioned window over chamfered stone stair-light in right side wall. C19
extensions to sides of colourwashed rubble with hipped and gabled stone slate
roofs. Interior: restored in 1963. Parlour wing: ground-floor parlour has
stop-chamfered joists, blocked C15 fireplace adjoining exposed spandrel of
mid/late C16 stone moulded fireplace; C16 panelling to rear; stone spiral stairs
with timber treads; first-floor solar has lateral timber partitions with rebated
doorframes under tie beams of 2-bay king-post trusses with clasped purlins and
curved wind-braces; blocked window with 2 oak mullions in left side wall. Hall
range: open hall has chamfered arch-braced roof truss with upper collar, tabled
clasped purlins, arched windbraces and ashlar plate. Timber-framed dais
partition with tension braces set over projecting ogee-moulded dais beam:
timber-framed screens partition set over 2 four-centred service doors with
quatrefoil spandrels to right. 2-unit service area has ogee-stopped beams and
open fireplaces in right side wall: original layout possibly consisted of
screens opening to a buttery and/or pantry to the left of a kitchen. History:
Sir John Golafre who died in 1442, left money for the foundation of the House or
Hospital of St. John the Baptist which maintained 5 almsmen and a chantry
priest, who maintained the chantry chapel in the Church of St. Nicholas (q.v.).
The parlour wing probably accommodated the priest, and the rooms over the
service area the bedesmen. After the Dissolution it eventually, in 1580, passed
to St. John's College, Oxford, who still own it.
Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.146; Oxfordshire County Museums, Woodstock,
P.R.N. 9821; Bodleian Library, MS Top. Berks c.55 for 58 photos of White Hart
before and after restoration).


Listing NGR: SU4235698760

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.