History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Appleton-with-Eaton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7109 / 51°42'39"N

Longitude: -1.3589 / 1°21'31"W

OS Eastings: 444394

OS Northings: 201545

OS Grid: SP443015

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y1.R88

Mapcode Global: VHCXZ.D8G8

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 9 February 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048421

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249501

Location: Appleton-with-Eaton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX13

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Appleton-with-Eaton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Appleton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Standlake

Listing Text

APPLETON WITH EATON CHURCH ROAD
SP4401 (East side)
Appleton
9/4 Church of St. Lawrence
09/02/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12: late C13 tower remodelled in C15: remodelled and north aisle
built in early C17: later C17, early C18 alterations and restored 1883. Coursed
limestone rubble, ashlar dressings: stone slate hanging to east gable wall of
nave. Gabled M-shaped roofs, of stone slates over chancel, and Welsh slate and
C20 tiles over nave. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. Double-gabled east
wall has 3-light window of 1883 to left of early C17 leaded and partially
blocked chamfered stone-mullioned window. Similar early C17 window to north
wall: south wall has late C13 pointed and chamfered arched priest's doorway
adjoining late C15/early C16 two-light stone-mullioned window with
casement-moulded architrave. Nave: early C17 three-light chamfered
stone-mullioned windows flank plain early C17 north porch with fine studded
double-leaf doors. Early C17 stone-coped south porch has crocketed niche above
similar doors: medieval stoup adjoins late C12 round-headed chamfered doorway:
porch flanked by C15 two-light cinquefoil-headed window, and late C13 two-light
window with late C19 mullion and head. 3-stage west tower: late C13 two-light
Y-tracery window above C15 doorway with C17 studded doors: C15 one- and 2-light
cinquefoil-headed windows and crenellated parapet: slit lights to south
stair-turret. Late C19 louvred south bell turret. Interior: chancel has
quarry-tile floor with late C18 memorial tablets, memorial tablet to Robert
Aldworth, c.1698, and a "memento mori" brass to John Goudrington, d.1518, which
depicts a shrouded copse. Fine wall monument to Sir John Fettiplace, d.1593:
recumbent effigy with strapwork back-panel, set in architectural frame with
Corinthian columns and obelisks with heraldic achievment surmounting
entablature. Early C18 communion rail and 4-bay wainscotted arcade enclosing
earlier columns (V.C.H.) to north chapel. North chapel has C18 ledger stones,
wall tablet to Robert Southeby, d.1717, and fine memorial by Robert Blore to
firs. Anne Southeby, d.1808, her daughter and infant son. Early C19 chamber
organ. Chancel arch built 1873. Nave: late C19 pulpit and fittings, early C19
wall tablets, and C18 pew next to tub-shaped font set on late C12 base with
spiral decoration including beaded bands. Late C13 archway to west tower. Fine
4-bay late C12 Transitional arcade has chamfered pointed arches set on round
piers with square abaci: capitals, from east, have trumpet scallops, stiff-leaf,
beaded interlacing bands with stiff-leaf volutes, and flat-leaf to west. Painted
inscription on east intrados commemorates gift by Sir Richard Fettiplace. 3
panes of C15 armorial stained glass in north aisle window.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.65; V.C.H.: Berkshire, pp.339-40; B.F.L.
Clarke and H.M. Colvin, "The Rebuilding and Repair of Berkshire Churches during
the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries", Berkshire Archaeological
Journal, Vol.53, 11952-5), pp.69-70).


Listing NGR: SP4439401545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.