This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.599 / 51°35'56"N
Longitude: -1.1222 / 1°7'19"W
OS Eastings: 460896
OS Northings: 189270
OS Grid: SU608892
Mapcode National: GBR 911.R2V
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.H2LJ
Entry Name: Castle Priory College
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249334
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD THAMES STREET
SU6089SE (East side)
11/167 Castle Priory College
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Castle
House, now college. Probably early C18 core, encased and remodelled c.1760, Cl9
and C20 alterations. Render, on brick; Welsh slate hipped roof, rendered brick
end stacks to centre block. Double-depth plan. 3-storey, 5-window central range
with subsidiary wings. 6-panel door with Doric pillared surround enclosed by
glazed porch with lead ogee-shaped roof to centre. 12-pane unhorned sashes to
ground and first floors. First floor windows have cornices and louvred shutters.
Flat rendered band between first and second floors. 6-pane unhorned sashes with
shutters to second floor. Dentil cornice to eaves. Wing to left: single-storey,
2-window range. 12-pane unhorned sashes. Dentil cornice to eaves. Wing to right:
2-storey, 3-window range. 6-pane horned sashes to first floor. Rear: 3-storey,
5-window centre block. Centre 3 bays project. Glazed double doors with
overlights to round arched doorways to left and right. Three 12-pane unhorned
sashes to centre. 12-pane unhorned sashes with cornices and louvred shutters to
first floor. 6-pane unhorned sashes with cornices and louvred shutters to second
floor. Single-storey wing to right with tripartite sash with glazing bars to
centre. Single-storey, 3-window wing to left: central French windows. 12-pane
sashes to left and right. Interior: dog-leg staircase with landings and wood
baluster balustrade from ground to first floor left of main block. Dining room
to ground floor right has Rococo plaster ceiling with central C18 Venetian
painting, probably added late C19, of female figure dropping flowers from a
basket held by putti. Various C18 fireplaces, some in Adam style. Rococo painted
wood fireplace to ground floor rear centre. Some first floor rooms have ovolo
moulded panelling, Second floor landing has incised plaster decorative bands
forming panels and C18 curved-fronted cupboard to corner with metal-lined basin.
Subsidiary service wing at right-angles to rear right: probably early C18. Red
brick; old plain-tile half-hipped roof; brick ridge stacks. Single storey and
attic; 3-window range. C20 French windows to centre. 12-pane sashes with wood
architrave surrounds and cornices to left and right. Dentil cornice. 5 hipped
dormers. Curved principal roof. History: home of Sir William Blackstone
1723-80), author of "Commentaries on the Laws of England", Home of Haylar
family in mid C19.
("Historic Wallingford, a walk-round guide" J and S Dewey, 1982; "Some Notes on
the Domestic Architecture of Wallingford\, Berkshire" by P.S. Spokes in
"Berkshire Archaeological Journal", Vul.50, 1947).
Listing NGR: SU6089689270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings