This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5968 / 51°35'48"N
Longitude: -1.123 / 1°7'22"W
OS Eastings: 460846
OS Northings: 189025
OS Grid: SU608890
Mapcode National: GBR 911.YQ9
Mapcode Global: VHCYP.H467
Entry Name: St Lucian's and Attached Former Maltings st Lucian's Lower Wharf
Listing Date: 9 December 1949
Last Amended: 9 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 249268
Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Wallingford
Built-Up Area: Wallingford
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
WALLINGFORD LOWER WHARF
SU6089SE (South side)
11/105 St. Lucian's and attached
09/12/49 former maltings
(Formerly listed as St.
Lucian's Lower Wharf)
House and attached maltings and flats. Mid C16 house, possibly incorporating
earlier work; early C17 maltings and hop kiln. C17 bays to house. Limestone
rubble and flint plinth; roughcast, with decorative pargetting, probably on
brick, with some stone quoins, to ground floor; roughcast, with decorative
pargeting, probably on timber framing to first floor; old plain-tile roof;
brick end stacks with diagonally set flues. 2-unit cross-passage plan with
central staircase. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Plank ribbed and studded
door with stone Tudor-arch doorway to centre with lean-to lead-covered hood on
brackets. 2-light leaded stone mullion windows to left and right of centre.
Angled 2-storey bays with leaded stone mullion windows to ground and first floor
at left and with battlemented parapet. Continuous hood mould to ground floor
with reversed hearts above. 3-light wood mullion window with 2-light
side-windows to first floor centre. 3 cross-gables to roof with 2-light leaded
wood mullion windows. Rear: 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. 6-panel
part-glazed door with rendered architrave surround to centre. 2-storey angled
bays with leaded stone mullion windows to ground and first floor at left and
right, except early C19 French doors to ground floor right. Continuous hood
mould to ground floor with reversed hearts above. 3-light wood mullion window
with 2-light side-windows to first floor centre. 3 cross-gables to roof with
2-light leaded wood mullion windows. Interior: C17 straight flight staircase
with winders to base, from ground to first floor with baluster balustrade. Queen
strut roof with purlins cut to form cross-gables, Tudor-arched stone fireplaces
to ground and first floor left and right. Maltings and subsidiary dwellings at
right-angles to left. Coursed clunch rubble with C19 brick buttress; old
plain-tile roof. Approx. 7 bays long. Collar truss roof with some windbracing.
Hop kiln at junction: clunch rubble with brick dressings to base; large timber
framing above with brick infill; old plain-tile gableted roof with conical roof
of kiln rising from ridge, with wooden louvred cap. Original roof structure of
kiln survives. Subsidiary dwelling range at right-angles to house, fronting onto
street: flint base; clunch rubble walls; old plain tile roof. 2-storey, 4-window
range. Panel doors, Irregular fenestration of casements. Deep jetty to first
floor. Collar truss roof. The house fronts onto the River Thames.
(V.C.H,: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923; "Some Notes on the Domestic Architecture of
Wallingford, Berkshire"; by P.S. Spokes, in Berkshire Archaeological Journal,
Listing NGR: SU6084689025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings