History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wallingford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5973 / 51°35'50"N

Longitude: -1.1229 / 1°7'22"W

OS Eastings: 460846

OS Northings: 189078

OS Grid: SU608890

Mapcode National: GBR 911.YQ3

Mapcode Global: VHCYP.H36V

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 9 December 1949

Last Amended: 9 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048505

English Heritage Legacy ID: 249293

Location: Wallingford, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX10

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Wallingford

Built-Up Area: Wallingford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wallingford

Listing Text

WALLINGFORD ST. LEONARD'S LANE
SU6089SE (South side)
Wallingford
11/128 Church of St. Leonard
09/12/49 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Leonard's)

GV II*

Church. C11 tower, south arcade, apse, and other alterations c.1849 by Henry
Hakewill. Flint and stone rubble mixture, with area of limestone rubble in
herring-bone pattern below eaves of nave. Coursed squared stone to tower and
apse; old plain-tile roof. Nave, south aisle, chancel and apse, with west tower.
6-panel door with wrought iron hinges to C19 Romanesque doorway with blind
tympanum to right of nave. Irregular fenestration of C19 Romanesque lancets,
except C14 style paired louvred lancet to Romanesque archway to each face with
pyramidal roof. Rear: C19 plank door to left of centre of aisle. C19 lancets to
aisle. C19 trefoils to nave clerestory. C19 lancet to chancel centre. C13
lancets to left and right. Blocked doorway with segmental pointed head to right:
blocked opening with stone voussoirs to upper left. Interior: arch braced collar
truss roof to chancel of 2 bays with 2 tiers of windbraces. C19 king post roof
to nave of 3 bays. C19 lean-to roof to aisle. C19 apse arch with reset carving
to chancel face of indented nail-head form, with basket work capitals to columns
and carved faces to the responds of the arch. C19 chancel arch with reset
carving to nave face of tablet-flower form with basket work imposts and outer
sections of arch, C19 south arcade of 3 Romanesque arches. Good collection of
late C18 funary monuments to north side of nave. Apse has wall paintings by G.D.
Leslie c.1889.
(V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.540-1; Buildings of England; Berkshire,
1966, p24B).


Listing NGR: SU6084689078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.