History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michael's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5878 / 51°35'15"N

Longitude: -1.4307 / 1°25'50"W

OS Eastings: 439538

OS Northings: 187810

OS Grid: SU395878

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.K28

Mapcode Global: VHC12.5C05

Entry Name: St Michael's House

Listing Date: 21 December 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048526

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251262

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

WANTAGE PRIORY ROAD
SU3987 (West side)
7/163 St. Michael's House
21/12/78

GV II


Retreat house for sisterhood of St. Mary the Virgin, now flats. 1855, by William
White. Coursed and dressed limestone rubble with flush red brick bands, and
limestone ashlar dressings; old tile roof; brick stacks. Asymmetrical plan, with
east chapel. 2 storeys to left, 2 storeys and attic to gable ends; 4-window
range. Asymmetrical elevation. Porch with pyramidal roof has moulded pointed
doorway, with alternately brick and limestone ashlar arch above. Recessed gable
end to right. Similar left gable end brought forward and attached at right
angles to left wing 2-window range. Pointed arches of alternate red brick and
limestone ashlar over C20 casements. Gabled roof; lateral and ridge stacks.
Similar style to rear left and right wings with 3-light Geometrical style wood
casements. Chapel to right of front in similar materials has apsidal east end by
A.B. Allin, 1888; side walls have 2-light Geometrical style windows, offset
buttresses and 3-light chamfered mullioned square-headed window each side;
Kentish-tracery quatrefoil light to rear. Gabled roof.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.254; National Monuments Record,
BB79/6600,6601).


Listing NGR: SU3953887810

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.