History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Post Office Vaults

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5885 / 51°35'18"N

Longitude: -1.4256 / 1°25'32"W

OS Eastings: 439888

OS Northings: 187889

OS Grid: SU398878

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y6.6F0

Mapcode Global: VHC12.7BPM

Entry Name: Post Office Vaults

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251200

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Built-Up Area: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/09/2012


SU3987NE
9/104
22/04/50


WANTAGE
MARKET PLACE
(East side)
Post Office Vaults


(Formerly listed as No.50 (Post Office Vaults Public House) and No.51)


GV
II


Inn, now public house and shop. c,1730, refronted c.1760. Flemish bond brick;
old tile roof; brick stack. Encloses small yard, now blocked off. 3 storeys;
4-window range. Late C19 ground-floor front to No.50, flat brick arches over
blocked cellar windows to right; Venetian window with Doric columns and early
C18 sashes above, and keyed gauged brick semi-circular arches over early C18
sashes to left. Second floor has gauged brick flat arches to left and soldier
arches to right over sashes. Parapet. Hipped and half-hipped roof; ridge stacks.
Right side wall has similar semi-circular arch over sash. Left side wall of
2-window range has semi-circular arch with impost blocks to mid C19 door, early
C19 and mid C19 border sashes, early C18 sash to top left. No.51, to right, is
early C18 similar 1 x 1 block with semi-circular arches over similar first-floor
sashes in yellow brick jambs. Rear wall has corbelled out lateral stack and mid
C19 stuccoed porch. Interior: C18 cornices and early C18 two-panelled doors.
Early C18 six-panelled door from enclosed internal yard to rear right room of
No.50, which has panelled dado and panelling of c.1730, probably reset, in
partition dividing No.51 to right. Early C18 quarter-turn staircase to right of
No.50 has turned vase balusters on open string and panelled dado. First-floor
room to left has round-headed doorways arid cupboards with panelled reveals;
similar round-headed doorway to right room of No.50 with 3-panelled door. Early
C18 winder stairs to second floor.


Listing NGR: SU3988887889

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.