History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28 and 29, Market Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Wantage, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5887 / 51°35'19"N

Longitude: -1.4278 / 1°25'39"W

OS Eastings: 439740

OS Northings: 187919

OS Grid: SU397879

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y5.CV2

Mapcode Global: VHC12.6BKF

Entry Name: 28 and 29, Market Place

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048551

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251216

Location: Wantage, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Wantage

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Wantage

Listing Text

WANTAGE MARKET PLACE
SU3987NE (West side)
9/120 Nos.28 and 29
22/04/50

GV II

Shown on O.S. map as Nos. 28 & 29, Market Place.
House, now shops. Dated 1708 on doorway of left side wall; front remodelled
c.1880, Flemish bond brick with flared headers; limestone quoins and dressings;
late C19 banded club and plain-tile roof with crested ridge tiles; brick stacks.
Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. Late C19 shop front with
C20 doors and decorative cast-iron parapet. Stone lintels with decorative
keystones, chamfered rusticated architraves, to late C19 sashes. Early C18
cyma-moulded plinth and storey band; chamfered limestone quoins. Late C19
bracketed eaves and 3 gabled dormers with cast-iron balconies, crested ridge
tiles and finials. Hipped roof; left internal stack. Left side wall has gauged
brick flat arches over late C19 sashes; large late C19 window with cornice
adjoining doorway, with Tuscan pilasters and acanthus leaf brackets to scrolled
pediment with coat of arms and date 17/08 either side of dropped key in tympanum
inscribed with letter K. Interior: Central dog-leg with landing staircase with
barley-sugar balusters on open string, fine fret-cut brackets. Fluted newel post
and panelled dado.


Listing NGR: SU3972687914

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.