This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6434 / 51°38'36"N
Longitude: -1.5076 / 1°30'27"W
OS Eastings: 434171
OS Northings: 193955
OS Grid: SU341939
Mapcode National: GBR 6X9.X9V
Mapcode Global: VHC0M.TYCK
Entry Name: Campdene House
Listing Date: 15 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251084
Location: Stanford in the Vale, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Stanford in the Vale
Built-Up Area: Stanford in the Vale
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanford-in-the-Vale with Goosey and Hatford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE UPPER GREEN
SU3493 (North side)
9/254 No.8 (Campdene House)
Farmhouse. Datestone VD/1702. Coursed limestone rubble brought to course, brick
quoins to right; mid C20 tile roof; brick stacks. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys;
window range. Mid C20 porch and entry not in original position. Brick jambs
and segmental arches to early C20 three-light casements. Gabled roof; left gable
end and ridge stacks, late C19 gable end stack to right. Rear wall obscured by
late C19 gabled brewhouse (now garage), late C19 lean-to and late C20 wing.
Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest. The datestone to the top
left of the front wall probably commemorates a marriage as the initials VD are
separated from the initials below by an inscribed heart. This used to be the
"Crown Prince Inn", changed to "The Prince" due to the unpopularity of the
German Crown Price in the 1914-18 war. Old photographs show that since the early
C20 the eaves height to the right of the central chimney has been built up and
the door shifted to the left to its present position opposite the stack.
(V.H. Howse, Stanford-in-the-Vale; A Parish Record, 1962, Vol.I, p.27).
Listing NGR: SU3417193955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings