This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5919 / 51°35'30"N
Longitude: -1.4517 / 1°27'6"W
OS Eastings: 438078
OS Northings: 188253
OS Grid: SU380882
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y4.5SZ
Mapcode Global: VHC11.S8D0
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251118
Location: East Challow, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: East Challow
Built-Up Area: East Challow
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
EAST CHALLOW MAIN STREET
SU38NE (East side)
2/24 Church of St. Nicholas
Church. Mid/late C13, restored and west front rebuilt 1858; south tower rebuilt
1884. Uncoursed limestone rubble, partly rendered to north and repointed;
limestone ashlar quoins and dressings; stone slate roof. Nave and chancel with
south aisle. Mid C19 three-light east window with Kentish tracery; north side of
chancel has late C13 two-light window with mid C19 cusped heads and C15
two-light square-headed window; south side of chancel has mid C19 two-light
window in late C13 style. South vestry, aisle, and late C19 two-storey tower to
west with crenellated parapet, have one-light windows with cusped heads and
buttresses. Mid C19 clerestorey windows. North side of nave has similar mid C19
one-light window, late C15/early C16 three-light arch-headed window, C13
one-light window, mid C19 two-light window to west and offset buttresses. West
gable has mid C19 three-light French Gothic window over pointed moulded doorway
to plank door with decorative iron hinges, and C13 stoup to south. Moulded
kneelers to gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has aid C19 roof, late C13 pointed
moulded blocked doorway to vestry. Late C13 double-chamfered chancel arch on
engaged columns with bell capitals; 3-bay oak screen of 1905 with traceried
heads. Nave has mid C19 roof and mid C19 pulpit and tester, C13 circular font
and late C13 three-bay south arcade with double-chamfered arches and additional
mid C19 west bay. South aisle has mid C19 roof and arches to east and west.
Stained glass: Late C19 and C20; C15 stained glass in late C15/early C16 window
in north wall of nave.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p,131; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.226).
Listing NGR: SU3807888253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings