History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shellingford House

A Grade II Listed Building in Shellingford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.64 / 51°38'24"N

Longitude: -1.5411 / 1°32'28"W

OS Eastings: 431850

OS Northings: 193566

OS Grid: SU318935

Mapcode National: GBR 6XG.166

Mapcode Global: VHC0T.71ML

Entry Name: Shellingford House

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Last Amended: 15 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048599

English Heritage Legacy ID: 251029

Location: Shellingford, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Shellingford

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shellingford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Faringdon

Listing Text

SHELLINGFORD CHURCH STREET
SU39SW (North side)
5/199 Shellingford House
10/11/52 (Formerly listed as
The Rectory

GV II

House. c.1630. Late C18 rear and mid C19 left side extensions. Coursed limestone
rubble; limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof, tiled to rear; brick
stacks, except original stacks of limestone rubble finished in C19 brick.
Double-depth plan. Jacobean style. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window
range. Front door has been blocked and rendered over. Half-blocked basement
window to right is 2-light, stone-mullioned and cavetto-moulded with one leaded
casement. Splayed plinth course. Over basement window is early C17 one-light
window with cavetto moulded surround, label mould and C20 casement; four C20
French windows in mid C19 openings with label moulds to other ground-floor
windows. On first floor early C17 two-light stone-mullioned cavetto-moulded
windows with label moulds and C20 leaded casements flank similar central 4-light
window. Similar 2-light windows light attic, the top storey having two cross
gables. M-shaped gabled roof; gable end stack to rear right and two internal
stacks in central valley. Left side wall has gabled extension of c.1850, with
canted bay window, two late C18 sashes under early C17 style hood moulds and a
semi-cicular brick arch over a mid C19 six-panelled (4 glazed) door with late
C18 fanlight, To rear right is early Cl6 three-light stone mullioned and moulded
window with arched heads and hood mould; much restored C18 four-light leaded
casement over; to centre of first floor are C18 leaded casements set in early
C17 two-light wood mullioned ovolo-moulded window, with much restored C18
three-light leaded casement to left; other windows are mid C19 sashes, casements
and gabled dormer. To centre of rear elevation is two-storey extension with
2-light leaded casements and half-hipped roof. Two cross gables to rear.
Interior: Mid C19 six- and 4-panelled doors and shutters; quartered cyma-moulded
beams and mid C19 stone fireplace in front right room; chamfered beams in rear
right room; front left room has early C17 moulded plaster cornice continued
around quartered beams, the soffits of which are decorated with pomegranetes
etc; rear right room has mid C19 decorative tiled floor and early C17 stone
fireplace with moulded architrave. Straight-run and quarter-turn stairs in rear
extension. Main feature of house is early C17 open-well staircase to rear with
moulded balusters, string and banister with ball finials and pendentives nearly
touching; stairs supported by posts with carved Doric columns which, joined by a
4-centred arch, frame the main exits and entries. First floor has chamfered
beams and substantial timber framed partition walls. Early C17 ribbed cupboard
door with butterfly hinges in attic. Roof obscured but probably of collar truss
type. Subsidiary features: To rear right is mid C18 single storey extension
joined to brew/bakehouse; built of limestone rubble with brick dressings, tiled
roof and brick stack. Brew/bakehouse has timber lintels over C19 plank door, C18
three-light leaded casement and C20 garage doors to left; hipped roof; central
ridge stack. Interior: chamfered beam and segmental arch over large blocked
fireplace to left room, and right room open to 2-bay collar truss roof with butt
purlins and notched ridge piece. To rear left early C20 block connects house to
long mid C18 stable block. Limestone rubble, brick dressings, tiled and stone
slate roof, wall has timber lintels over C18 one-, 2- and 4-light leaded
casements and rear gable wall has cusped leaded light set in semi-circular brick
arch.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.215).


Listing NGR: SU3185093566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.