This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6401 / 51°38'24"N
Longitude: -1.5078 / 1°30'28"W
OS Eastings: 434155
OS Northings: 193596
OS Grid: SU341935
Mapcode National: GBR 6XH.3MB
Mapcode Global: VHC0T.T17H
Entry Name: Rectory House
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048605
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251047
Location: Stanford in the Vale, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN7
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Stanford in the Vale
Built-Up Area: Stanford in the Vale
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanford-in-the-Vale with Goosey and Hatford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE CHURCH GREEN
SU3493 (North side)
9/217 Rectory House
House. Built c.1706 for Walter Tyrell, High Sheriff of Berkshire; late Cl6 wing
to rear remodelled early C18. Squared and coursed limestone, ashlar dressings;
stone slate roof; stone stacks finished in rendered brick. Double-depth plan.
Early Georgian style. Two storeys and attic; 3 bays. Early C19 doorway has
semi-circular arch over 6-panelled door with fanlight and carved brackets to
gabled hood. Beaded and keyed ashlar architraves to early C19 sashes. Moulded
plinth course, raised chamfered quoins. Early C19 raking dormer with horizontal
sliding sash. Hipped roof; end stacks. Left side has 2 roughcast canted bays of
c.1900 with C20 horned sashes. Rear has keyed flat stone arches to blocked
windows and two early C19 sashes; early C20 brick and tile lean-to adjoins
original rear porch with moulded cornice. Interior: Panelled shutters, early C19
six-panelled and early C18 three-panelled doors in moulded architraves; one
ribbed door in attic. Rooms to left of door have early C19 fireplace. Entrance
hall has bolection-moulded panelling of c.1706 and keyed semi-circular arch with
moulded imposts and panelled pilasters through to staircase. Dog-leg with
landing stairs, with barley sugar balusters on closed string, have been reset to
right side of hall; fielded panelling obscured by reset stairs and inserted
partition wall to left. Quarter-turn with winders back stairs have turned
balusters on closed string. Bolection-moulded panelling to first-floor landing.
Collar-truss roof. Subsidiary features: To rear right is late Cl6 one-storey and
attic 2-window range, remodelled in late C19, of random limestone rubble with
gabled Welsh slate roof; left side wall had two-light stone mullioned
cavetto-moulded window with early G18 casements and outshut joined to house with
early C18 two-light cross window; right side wall has timber lintels over C19
doors and casements and late Cl6 one-light chamfered window; front wall has late
C19 three-light casement; 2-light wood-mullioned chamfered window and gable end
stack to rear. Interior: C20 bressumer over open fireplace; late Cl6
twelve-panelled door; late Cl6 stone charcoal burning stove with beaded
4-centred arches to flues; late Cl6 floorboards on first floor; late C19 roof.
(V.M. Howse, Stanford-in-the-Vale: A Parish Record, Vol.2, 1962, p.29).
Listing NGR: SU3415593596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings