History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sparsholt, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5852 / 51°35'6"N

Longitude: -1.5013 / 1°30'4"W

OS Eastings: 434649

OS Northings: 187486

OS Grid: SU346874

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y2.K8P

Mapcode Global: VHC10.XFP4

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048695

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250767

Location: Sparsholt, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Sparsholt

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

SPARSHOLT
SU38NW
6/131 The Manor House
24/11/66
- II


Country House. Early C18 central block with extensions of c.1730 to left and
right. Left and central blocks of Flemish bond dark brick with red brick quoins
and dressings; limestone dressings to pediment and parapet course; Welsh slate
roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plans. 2-storey, 5-window range with
pedimented central 3 bays to left block. Steps up to central door flanked by
limestone ashlar wall swept round to low piers surmounted by carved figures of
the lion and the unicorn; 6-panelled door set in pedimented doorway with Gibbs
surround. Segmental arches with limestone keyblocks over early C19 sashes with
brass glazing bars; similar left side wall has lunette to tympanum and canted
bay window to left; Venetian window over rear doors.4-window range to central
block of segmental arches with limestone keyblocks over late C19 horned sashes;
central sash blocks original door; hipped roof; end and internal stacks.
Interior: plan form of central block much altered c.1970. C18 six-panelled
doors. All ground floor fireplaces are recent introductions: mid C18 fireplaces
to first floor front and rear left rooms. Bolection-moulded panelling, much
restored, and semi-circular archway with panelled intrados to rear wall of
front centre room. Mid C18 panelling to front left and centre rooms. Open-well
stairs to centre rear of c.1730, turned balusters, late C19 banister, panelled
dado over wall-string. Early C18 dog-leg with landing stairs to rear right have
turned balusters and closed stringy to left wall adjoining stairs is early C18
decoration, repetitive pattern with figure in oriental style. Block to right:
random bond brick with flared headers, to pediment limestone dressings, Welsh
slate roof. Single-storey, 3-window range of segmental arches with limestone
keyblocks over early C19 sashes; central bay is pedimented with lunette in
tympanum. Late C19 block to rear and stables and coach-house dated 1897
attached to right wall.


Listing NGR: SU3464987486

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.