History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Sparsholt, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5863 / 51°35'10"N

Longitude: -1.5017 / 1°30'6"W

OS Eastings: 434622

OS Northings: 187606

OS Grid: SU346876

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y2.K50

Mapcode Global: VHC10.XDHB

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 11 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048697

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250769

Location: Sparsholt, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Sparsholt

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

SPARSHOLT CHURCH WAY
SU38NW
6/133 The Old Vicarage

GV II


Vicarage, now house. C17 wing to left modified c.1873, early C18 block to
right. English garden wall bond brick with limestone bands to left over
probable timber frame; coursed sarsen rubble with chalk bands and limestone
quoins and dressings; original front wall to right side in chalk ashlar with
limestone quoins and dressings; stone slate roof, tiled to rear; brick stacks.
Original plan of early C18 house had central staircase with C17 wing lying
parallel at rear. 2-storey, 3-window range. Left gable wall has pointed brick
arch over entry to vestibule and retaining-arch and timber lintel over 5-light
leaded casement, reset in late C19 wall, and one C20 casement; gabled wall has
square returns to moulded kneelers. Early C18 wall to right, plain limestone
architraves with raised keyblocks to 4-late C19 sashes: moulded cornice; hipped
roof. The original early C18 front to right side has 3-window range of similar
windows but with 2 original sashes to ground floor; one late C19 sash blocks
original central door and left side obscured by school built c.1873; limestone
storey band, chamfered quoining and moulded cornice. Ridge stack and rear left
lateral stack. Interior: C17 chamfered and stopped beam to front left; 6- and
2- panelled early C18 doors, and panelled shutters; early C18 fireplace with
stone moulded architrave to first floor rear right room; early C18 dog-leg with
landing stairs to centre right have turned balusters; 3-bay collar-truss roof
with butt purlins to early C18 section of house. Attached to the right wall is
a school built in about c.1873, which seems also to be the date of the brick
cladding to the left wing and the insertion of late C19 sashes. C20 lean-to
against left gable wall.


Listing NGR: SU3462187607

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.