History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bourton Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Bourton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5844 / 51°35'3"N

Longitude: -1.6704 / 1°40'13"W

OS Eastings: 422934

OS Northings: 187334

OS Grid: SU229873

Mapcode National: GBR 5WJ.QHJ

Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.0F9R

Entry Name: Bourton Grange

Listing Date: 11 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048738

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250669

Location: Bourton, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Bourton

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shrivenham

Listing Text

BOURTON
SU28NW
4/40 Bourton Grange

GV II


House, now office. Datestone on finial: JT (for John Tucker) 1847. Limestone
ashlar. Welsh slate roof. Double-depth plan (4x2) with central staircase.
2-storey and attic, 4-window range. 3:1 facade with bay recessed, built flush
with service range. Steps to 6-panelled door, under 4-centered arch with hood
mould and ballflower terminals over; door flanked by 2 rectangular bays, with
blind panel strips and lunettes to surround. 4-light moulded mullioned and
transomed windows; ballflower terminals to hood moulds; original rainwater
goods. Facade surmounted by 3 Dutch gables with moulded kneelers and round
window; ridge stacks. Interior: Original panelled doors and straight-flight
open-string stair with moulded balusters; service range to right of facade:
limestone ashlar, 3-window range, with flat roof. In front of house is late C20
iron rail connected by stone circular piers with ball finials. John Turner, the
builder of Bourton Grange, also built the 6 almshouses near Pinewood and
contributed towards the rebuilding of the school. The Tucker family were
responsible for the building of much of Bourton in the 1840s & 1850s, including
Pinewood, the Church of St. James and the Baptist chapel. (Kelly's
Directory, 1897).


Listing NGR: SU2293487334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.