History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Tower House and Adjoining Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Childrey, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5875 / 51°35'14"N

Longitude: -1.4811 / 1°28'51"W

OS Eastings: 436049

OS Northings: 187752

OS Grid: SU360877

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y3.JC5

Mapcode Global: VHC11.8CWD

Entry Name: The Tower House and Adjoining Walls

Listing Date: 11 December 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250678

Location: Childrey, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Childrey

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Find accommodation in
Balking

Listing Text

CHILDREY CHURCH ROW
SU3687 (North side)
12/51 The Tower House and adjoining
walls

GV II


House. c.1900. Squared and coursed chalk, limestone dressings and stack; stone
slate roof. Square plan with corner stair-turret, 1 1/2-storey. Arts and Crafts
style. Front has one 3-light first floor window, timber lintel over plank door:
asymmetrical gable with limestone kneelers and half-hipped roof with gablet:
Rear right circular stair-turret has semi-circular arch with hood mould and
moulded stone architrave over moulded plank door which is slightly curved, 2-
light splayed and stone-mullioned window and ball finial to conical roof. Left
side of house has late C20 doors and casements to ground floor and original 3-
light leaded casements over; original rainwater heads; kneelers to two gables;
to left is circular limestone stack. Interior: ground floor remodelled in the
C20, but 1st floor layout intact. Tunnel vault to right corridor with access to
to right corridor with access to rooms and stair - turret; plank doors with
with semi-circular heads, strap hinges and Norfolk latches; curved planked door
to limestone spiral stairs, with plain cornice to dome at top. Rear of Tower
House attached to wall of c.1900 which runs from south-east corner of
churchyard to office; chalk and limestone rubble brought to course, limestone
dressings, stone slate coping; Wall carried in triangle over central planked
door in semi-circular arch with rebated jambs; ramp to Tower House; triangular
section to coping. Part of a complex of buildings at Cantorist House (q.v.)
probably contemporary with alterations to the house c.1900.


Listing NGR: SU3604987752

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.