This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5363 / 51°32'10"N
Longitude: -1.5948 / 1°35'41"W
OS Eastings: 428203
OS Northings: 182009
OS Grid: SU282820
Mapcode National: GBR 5X6.RLX
Mapcode Global: VHC15.9NS4
Entry Name: Ashdown House
Listing Date: 10 November 1952
Last Amended: 11 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048765
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250630
Location: Ashbury, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, RG17
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Ashbury
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
8/1 Ashdown House
10/11/52 (Formerly listed as Ashdown House,
pavilion and outbuildings attached)
Country house, c.1662 probably by Captain William Winde for William 1st Earl of
Craven. Chalk ashlar with grey Bath stone dressings and stacks; stone slate
roof. Carolean design, with Dutch and French influences. Square double-depth
(5x5 bays) plan. 3-storey with attic and basement, 5- window range. East front
has stone steps with mid C20 iron railings up to central 6-panelled door with
eared architrave: over door is balustraded apron on brackets beneath 1st floor
window, with pediment on scrolled brackets 6-light mullioned and transomed
ground- and first-floor windows, similar 4- light windows above; all have C20
plate glass. Bath stone base, raised stone quoins, moulded strings at floor
level and bold modillioned cornice. 3 pedimented dormers on east and west
sides; square flat top to roof surrounded by balustrading; central octagonal
lantern, lighting central staircase, has domed roof and large golden ball
finial; hipped roof, end stacks. West elevation similar but with door
approached by steps with original stone balustrade and ball finials to newels.
Interior: many fireplaces inside were installed c.1960, with the exception of
original fireplace in second floor front left room. All rooms retain original
shuttering with panelled reveals, plaster cornices and all original doors.
Floor of c.1960 to entrance hall: open-well stairs with closed string and
moulded balusters carried to second floor; panelled dado; bolection-moulded
panels to ceiling. Bolection-moulded dado; shouldered architrave to rear
doorway with has carved consoles supporting scrolled pediment and central bust.
Semi-circular arch with moulded imposts with pulvinated frieze and moulded
cornice. Bolection-moulded panelling to front left room; elaborate acanthus
leaf cornice and original plaster ceiling with central wreath of leaf coving to
rear left room. (Buildings of England, Berkshire, pp. 72-73; Ashdown House
Berkshire, The National Trust, 1975.)
Listing NGR: SU2820382009
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings