History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shrivenham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5999 / 51°35'59"N

Longitude: -1.6528 / 1°39'10"W

OS Eastings: 424144

OS Northings: 189060

OS Grid: SU241890

Mapcode National: GBR 5WC.NXW

Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.91LV

Entry Name: Shrivenham House

Listing Date: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250576

Location: Shrivenham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Shrivenham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shrivenham

Listing Text

1. SHRIVENHAM

SU 2489 6/33 Shrivenham House

II


2.
C17 with an C18 addition, extensively altered and extended in 1834 as recorded by a
datestone on the W porch. The C19 work was carried out for the Barrington family when
they were building nearby Beckett Hall. The close similarity in style between Beckett
Hall and Shrivenham House suggests that the Barringtons commissioned the same
architect William Atkinson, for designs for both houses. Shrivenham House is built of
rubble stone and some incised roughcast with stone dressings and gabled stone tiled
roofs with several banks of C19 diamond shaped stone stacks. The original C17 house
consisted of a single 2 storey range on a N/S axis with a principal W front. A wing
projecting E was added in the C18 to the N wall of this range. This L shaped plan was
made rectangular by the 1834 additions. The 2 storey, 5 bay C17 W front is now C19
Tudor Gothic in character. The upper floor windows are either 3 or 4 light mullions
under flat heads, those on the ground floor are similar but less regular with one
5 light window in the right hand bay now blocked up. A centrally placed 2 storey
gabled porch projects with the datestone in its apex, a 3 light stone; mullioned window
to the upper floor and below, a Tudor arched doorway with a dripstone and a plank
door.
Inside there are several C19 Tudor Gothic stone fireplaces in the principal wing, one
late C17 fire surround with a pulvinated frieze and eared architrave in the SE wing
and a Cl9 Gothic staircase with wrought iron balusters.


Listing NGR: SU2414489060

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.