This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6004 / 51°36'1"N
Longitude: -1.6462 / 1°38'46"W
OS Eastings: 424601
OS Northings: 189120
OS Grid: SU246891
Mapcode National: GBR 5WC.QLT
Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.F12G
Entry Name: China House to West of Beckett Hall
Listing Date: 21 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250589
Location: Shrivenham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Shrivenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. SHRIVENHAM FARINGDON ROAD
China House to
SU 2489 6/67 21.7.82 west of Beckett Hall
Circa 1635-55 stone pavilion, possibly a fishing lodge, built either for Sir Henry
Marten or possibly Sir George Pratt of Coleshill who is said to have owned Beckett
Hall c1650-5. Traditionally attributed to Inigo Jones. Square plan, fine ashlar
stone set on wider rubble stone square base. Wide shallow pitched pyramid roof,
slated with 7 foot deep eaves protecting terrace, probably early C19. Copper finial.
Each face has 2 windows flanking central door. Cross-mullioned windows. Fine moulded
architraves with pulvinated frieze and flat cornices, the doorcases slightly more
elaborate with additional moulding to architrave giving very slight projection.
Listing NGR: SU2460189120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings