This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5981 / 51°35'53"N
Longitude: -1.6583 / 1°39'29"W
OS Eastings: 423767
OS Northings: 188864
OS Grid: SU237888
Mapcode National: GBR 5WC.MLJ
Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.63P6
Entry Name: The Memorial Hall
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250590
Location: Shrivenham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Shrivenham
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. SHRIVENHAM HIGHWORTH ROAD
The Memorial Hall
SG 2388 7/56
1921-5 in Cotswold Arts and Crafts style, possibly by John B Thorp, London firm of
architects who made a model for the building in 1921 which survives in the clerk's
office. Built of coursed and squared rubble stone and dressed stone quoins and
openings with a wide sweep of gabled stone tiled roof and tall end stone stacks.
I storey and attic with a SW front comprising a 3 bay half tile-hung gabled end to the
it (the caretaker's quarters) adjoining a 5 bay range whose 4th bay is a gabled
entrance with open timber framing in the apex. The roof of this main section has
4 hipped stone tiled dormers with 4 leaded lights to each and similar windows to the
ground floor. The W wall has 2 polygonal bay windows. Built onto the rear is a C20
Inside the main congregation area has a wooden hammer-beam roof and there are several
Perp style chimney pieces with oak leaf spandrels in adjoining rooms. Set back from
the main road at the Swindon entrance to Shrivenham, the hall occupies an important
visual site in the villagescape.
Listing NGR: SU2376788864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings