History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village School

A Grade II Listed Building in Shrivenham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5989 / 51°35'56"N

Longitude: -1.6546 / 1°39'16"W

OS Eastings: 424020

OS Northings: 188956

OS Grid: SU240889

Mapcode National: GBR 5WC.NJ1

Mapcode Global: VHC0Y.82ML

Entry Name: Village School

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Last Amended: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250594

Location: Shrivenham, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Shrivenham

Built-Up Area: Shrivenham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Shrivenham with Watchfield and Bourton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Shrivenham

Listing Text

1. SHRIVENHAM HIGH STREET
(north side)
SU 2488 8/45 10.11.52 Village School
(formerly listed as
II GV the Old School House)

2.
1863 in Gothic style enlarged in 1899 of rubble stone and stone dressings with a
gabled stone tiled roof and 3 stone stacks. The roadside front reveals the plan of
School Hall at right angles to the road, gable ended with a bellcote and chimney stack
cleverly combined and adjoining to the E, the Schoolmaster's house. A further
1 storey gabled range to the W is the 1899 addition. A stepped and pointed 3 cusped
light window lights the hall and there is a 3 cusped light window to the ground floor
gable end of the Schoolmaster's house. The range between is of 2 storeys and has 2
and 3 light mullions. The schoolroom door is ledged with wrought iron hinges under a
depressed pointed arch. A similar door with less elaborate ironwork gives access to
the master's house. The bellcote has a trefoiled opening below it and a triangular gable-above faith a finial.
A catslide roof porjects over 1 storey ranges to the rear.


Listing NGR: SU2402088956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.