This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6738 / 51°40'25"N
Longitude: -1.2793 / 1°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 449931
OS Northings: 197468
OS Grid: SU499974
Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.1D4
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.S616
Entry Name: Hospital of St John
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048807
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250526
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon
Civil Parish/community: Abingdon on Thames
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 4997 1/120 19.1.51 Hospital of St John
Rebuilt by Bernard Bedwell, 1801. Chequered brick. Retiled roof,
hipped to road. Half H plan. Four brick chimney stacks. Two storeys.
Band between storeys. Leaded casements to segmental arched windows.
Two modern doors, with brick segmental arches flank a round arched
passage entrance, blocked arch with wood lintel. The two gabled arms
have one window each storey, blocked on first floor. On ground floor,
segmental arched two light leaded casement window. Four modern
windows have been inserted in the main building and the building has lost
its centre pediment. Four dwellings.
Nos. 80 to 84 (even), the Hospital of St John and Nos. 86, 90A and 90
form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4993197468
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings