This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6672 / 51°40'1"N
Longitude: -1.2833 / 1°16'59"W
OS Eastings: 449663
OS Northings: 196730
OS Grid: SU496967
Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.DD9
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.PCX9
Entry Name: Long Alley Almshouses
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250532
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames
Built-Up Area: Abingdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
752 WEST ST HELEN STREET
SU 4996 1/205 19.1.51 Long Alley Almshouses
Erected by the Fraternity of the Holy Cross in 1446. Row of single
storey buildings in stone with the Guildhall in the centre. Brick
stacks. Long oak cloister walk in front is circa 1500 and to it were
added three elaborate C17 porches with paintings in panels executed by
Sampson Strong of Oxford in 1605.
The Hall was panelled at the same time and the mullioned bay window of
stone added to the garden side, as well as the good octagonal lantern
on the hall roof which bears the date of its repair, 1707.
(See Preston, "Christ's Hospital" (1930), pp 8-32 and VCH Berks IV).
Twitty's Almshouses, Long Alley Almshouses, Brick Alley Almshouses and
Church of St Helen form a group
Listing NGR: SU4965796736
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings