This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6677 / 51°40'3"N
Longitude: -1.2824 / 1°16'56"W
OS Eastings: 449725
OS Northings: 196785
OS Grid: SU497967
Mapcode National: GBR 7YR.DLP
Mapcode Global: VHCY6.QBDX
Entry Name: 58 and 60, East St Helen Street
Listing Date: 10 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048911
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250372
Location: Abingdon, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX14
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Abingdon on Thames
Built-Up Area: Abingdon
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abingdon-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
752 EAST ST HELEN STREET
(South East Side)
SU 4996 1/202 Nos. 58 and 60
One building. Originally chequered brick, now partly renewed.
No. 60 has date 1748.
No. 58. Two storeys and attics, gable end to road. One small window
in gable. Rubble ground floor, rest of building brick. Ground floor -
one blocked window in brick rusticated architrave. Brick architrave to
flat carriage arch with loading door over. Two light ventilation
windows to left. Used for storage.
No. 60. Two storeys. Stone plinth. Tile roof. Some windows rebuilt.
Three windows, casements with leaded lights in brick architrave. On
first floor, windows have brick labels but on the ground floor only the
small window to the right has a label. Modern door in moulded brick
architrave with three brick keystones. Carved semi-circular hood.
To rear, rebuilt.
Right hand section of No. 60. Tile roof with two modern brick chimneys
on carved brackets. One storey and attics. Rubble. One canted oriel
window to the river elevation with keystone and pilaster ornament, three
lights. One four-light mullion above, moulded cornice, lead glazed
casements. Street elevation, four windows, two on the left having drip-
moulds above six light transom and mullion with stone tracery in the head.
Probably much restored. One restored three-light window under moulded
cornice. One two-light window with tracery in the head, which may be
original C15 work, to the right. Balustered gallery at first floor
level inside house, which was used as a malthouse of John Tomkins in 1748.
Nos. 2 to 60 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4972596785
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings