History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Northmoor, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7226 / 51°43'21"N

Longitude: -1.3912 / 1°23'28"W

OS Eastings: 442148

OS Northings: 202825

OS Grid: SP421028

Mapcode National: GBR 7XT.WM2

Mapcode Global: VHC09.TYWV

Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 17 October 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048939

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252297

Location: Northmoor, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Northmoor

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Northmoor

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Standlake

Listing Text

NORTHMOOR
SP40SW
11/213 Rectory Farmhouse
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Rectory
Farmhouse and dovecote)

GV II*

Farmhouse. Datestone 1629 above door. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone
slate roof; stone rendered ridge stack and similar gable end stack to left wing.
L-plan with front left wing. 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Label mould
over moulded stone architrave with sunk spandrels framing C18 four-panelled
door. Label moulds over ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned round-headed windows, with
sunk spandrels, of one, 2 and 4 lights. Two C20 gabled roof dormers. Front left
wing of 2-window range: 2 similar one-light windows and canted 3-storey bay
window with similar mullioned windows and render over timber-framed upper
storey. Similar round-headed and square-headed mullioned windows and 2 early C17
studded doors with chamfered arched surrounds to left side and rear. C18 and mid
C19 service ranges of similar materials to right. Interior; left wing; central
timber-framed partition, and winder stairs set in timber frame with moulded
arched doorframes; front room has moulded stone fireplace, moulded plaster
cornice and plasterwork with pomegranate trails etc. to soffit of beam; first
floor has similar plasterwork in front room and chamfered beams. 2 units with
central lobby-entry to right: newel stairs to right; lobby has moulded arched
doorframes; room to right has chamfered beam and open fireplace with
hollow-chamfered wood bressumer and stone jambs; room to left has ogee-moulded
beam and moulded stone fireplace with sunk spandrels. Room to rear left, former
buttery and pantry, has moulded arched doorframe. Rectory Farmhouse stands on a
moated site south of the Church of St. Denys (q.v.), and is a good example of an
unaltered early C17 house.


Listing NGR: SP4215002825

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.