This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7264 / 51°43'34"N
Longitude: -1.4117 / 1°24'42"W
OS Eastings: 440729
OS Northings: 203234
OS Grid: SP407032
Mapcode National: GBR 6WG.PX6
Mapcode Global: VHC09.HV1Y
Entry Name: Gaunt House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048951
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252330
Location: Standlake, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Standlake
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standlake
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
11/246 Gaunt House
House. Early C17, with earlier (possibly late medieval) origins; C18 and later
alterations. Coursed limestone rubble; hipped roof, surmounted by reset carved
figure, of stone slates to front and concrete tiles to rear; stone ridge stack
to left, and large offset rear lateral stone stack. 2-storey hall range with
flanking cross wings which enclose 3 sides of rear courtyard. 2 storeys;
5-window range. Early C17 chamfered stone doorway, with 4-centred arch and
chamfered imposts, to right of central hall range: ancient studded door of
lapped planks with strap hinges. Concrete lintels over C18 three-light leaded
first-floor casements, and C19 transomed 3-light windows with runners to iron
opening lights; outshut and timber lintels over C20 casements to right of door.
Rear right wing has stone end stack and outshut, Rear left wing has early C17
outshut to right; left side wall, 3-window range, has C18 leaded casements and
C19 transomed windows; also, hood moulds over early C17 three-light window with
C20 mullions, and chamfered light above C17 plank door set in hollow-chamfered
architrave with basket arch. Interior: hall has early C17 chamfered arched
fireplace, and C18 collar-truss with staggered butt purlins also over right
wing, Left wing: chamfered and moulded stone arched fireplaces and C17 ribbed
doors; ground-floor room to rear of stack has plastered beam with lozenge and
floral decoration, and first-floor room above has plastered beam with stencilled
decoration; collar-truss roof with butt purlins; newel stairs in outshut to
right. Rear right wing has queen-post truss with windbraces, clasped purlins and
mortices for bracing. The cross wings were gabled to the front before the hall
was re-roofed in the C18. Two jowled posts of heavy scantling in right wall of
left wing have mortices for large braces and are part of a former, possibly late
medieval, hall and cross wing. Gaunt House occupies a medieval moated site. It
was owned by Dr. John Fell of Oxford, a staunch Royalist who gave the house to
the King's Army as a base for the garrison securing New Bridge (q.v.) in 1643-5:
it was later attacked and taken by the Parliamentarians.
(J. Skelton, Antiquities of Oxfordshire, 1823, fol.13r).
Listing NGR: SP4072903234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings