History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eynsham, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.78 / 51°46'48"N

Longitude: -1.3737 / 1°22'25"W

OS Eastings: 443305

OS Northings: 209226

OS Grid: SP433092

Mapcode National: GBR 7X8.7KC

Mapcode Global: VHCXL.4JN8

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1048964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 252263

Location: Eynsham, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Eynsham

Built-Up Area: Eynsham

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Eynsham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Eynsham

Listing Text

EYNSHAM THE SQUARE
SP4309 (South side)
4/179 Church of St. Leonard
12/09/55
GV II*

Church. Late C13 chancel and south aisle; nave, north aisle and west tower of
c.1450: restored in 1856 by William Wilkinson and 1892 by H. Drinkwater. Coursed
limestone rubble; squared stone to west tower. Gabled stone slate roofs and
Welsh slate aisle roofs. Late C19 Perpendicular-style east window. 3-bay chancel
has late C13 two-light windows and a pointed chamfered priest's doorway to
south; similar window and mid C19 vestry with lancets to north. Late C13 south
aisle, with buttresses: 2-light east window with quatrefoil in head; side wall
has, from east, late C13 two-light window with unusual cusped heads, a similar
window with cinquefoiled heads, a late C15 studded door set in a square-headed
surround with quatrefoils carved in spandrels, and a late C15 three-light window
with panel tracery. 3-bay late C15 north aisle has fleuron frieze, offset
buttresses and 3-light windows with panel tracery; crenellated 2-storey south
porch has 2-light square-headed window above 4-centred doorway with C18 panelled
double-leaf doors; pointed moulded south doorway. Late C15 four-bay clerestory
has gargoyle rainwater spouts, and label moulds over 2-light cinquefoil-headed
windows; late C15 five-light west window with panel tracery to nave. Late C15
three-stage tower with string courses and buttresses, and slit lights to
stair-turret: 3-light west window and belfry windows; gargoyles to string course
beneath crenellated parapet. Interior: chancel has mutilated late C13 statue
niche to east: trefoiled piscina to south and early C18 communion rail with
turned balusters; mid C19 arch-braced roof. Mid C19 chancel arch and king-post
nave roof supported on C15 head corbels. Late C17 bolection-panelled pulpit
(upper stage only), and C15 octagonal font with traceried panels and frieze of
angels. 3-light Perpendicular window to north chapel. 5-bay nave arcades, with
moulded capitals on oblong piers with concave mouldings: concave-moulded archway
to west tower. C15 bench at west end of nave has traceried end-panels: other
fittings are C20 and late C19. Three recesses in south wall of south aisle.
Mid/late C19 south aisle roof on C15 head corbels, and C15 north aisle roof with
moulded beams and braces. Wall painting: fragments of a C14 Life of St.
Catherine in north wall of chancel; adjoining window has stonework painted with
red-ochre bands. Monuments: chancel has wall tablet to James Preston, d.1805;
another to John Esher, and Mary Bartholomew, d.1724, 1752 and 1762, set in
architectural frame. Other C18 and C19 wall tablets include, in nave, John
Rogers, with a broken pediment and shouldered architrave; Anne Bedwell, d.1728,
with cherubs flanking portrait medallion; and John Rogers, d.1714. North aisle
has reset brasses to John Martin, d.1610, Richard Martin, d.1617, and vicar
William Emmot, d.1584. Stained glass: chancel has memorial glass of 1902 and
1930; south aisle windows of 1918 and to west, fragments of C14 and C15 glass
including St. Thomas. Other windows retain leaded cases.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.600-601; Bodleian Library, M.S. Top Oxen
for late C18 and C19 drawings; National Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SP4330509226

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.