This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7531 / 51°45'11"N
Longitude: -1.4632 / 1°27'47"W
OS Eastings: 437148
OS Northings: 206184
OS Grid: SP371061
Mapcode National: GBR 6W6.2VK
Mapcode Global: VHC08.L69D
Entry Name: Cokethorpe School
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252281
Location: Hardwick-with-Yelford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Hardwick-with-Yelford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Standlake
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HARDWICK WITH YELFORD STANDLAKE ROAD
SP3706 (West side)
19/197 Cokethorpe School
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Cokethorpe
Country house, now school. Built 1709 for Sir Simon Harcourt, of which south
front survives; extended to rear c.1730 and refronted 1780; interior remodelled
in 1913. Limestone ashlar; hipped stone slate roof; moulded ashlar stacks.
U-plan with 2 rear wings. Georgian style. Symmetrical 2-storey elevations. Front
of 2:3:2 fenestration has flat arches over tall horned sashes; canted central
bay has doorway with pulvinated frieze, and porch to front with unfluted Ionic
columns and balustraded parapet. Moulded eaves cornice and similar parapet
across front. Left (south) side wall of c.1710: pedimented 6-window range of
horned 6-pane sashes, set in moulded segmental-arched architraves with keyblocks
which touch storey band; similar cornice and parapet. T-shaped east wing of
c.1730 to rear right; of 9-window range with projecting outer blocks and keyed
flat arches over tall horned sashes on right side wall. Smaller 2-storey early
C18 service range to rear left, of similar materials; chamfered stone-mullioned
windows and 2 doors (one with C18 Norfolk latch) set in beaded architraves.
Interior: much remodelling in 1913. Hall has panelling and fireplace dated 1913;
panelling and fireplace with acanthus-leaf borders in room to rear; panelled
stair hall to rear left has dog-leg stairs with turned balusters. North wing (to
right) has similar service stairs with C18 dado panelling rising to first-floor
gallery with C18 dado panelling, and moulded cornice; ground-floor room to front
has acanthus-leaf bordering to panelling, possibly c.1730 (Pevsner) but with
later alteration, and overmantle with swags of c.1750. South wing (to left) has
small mid C18 panelled closet to rear right; early C18 bolection-moulded
panelling and fireplace and oval plasterwork ceiling in room to rear; room to
front has belection-moulded panelling with Corinthian pilasters and screen,
bolection-moulded marble fireplace and overmantel and similar plaster ceilings.
Attic of north wing has C16 bricks and some reused beams carved H for Harcourt.
Cokethorpe House was sold to Maximdean Western, a Director of the East India
Company, in 1908: it became a school in 1955.
(National Monuments Record; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.633-4;
Oxfordshire Museum, Woodstock, PRN 11202).
Listing NGR: SP3714806184
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings