History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farmhouse and Attached Dairy at Easneye Dairy Farm 470 Metres North East of Mansion

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanstead Abbots, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8058 / 51°48'21"N

Longitude: 0.0054 / 0°0'19"E

OS Eastings: 538362

OS Northings: 213813

OS Grid: TL383138

Mapcode National: GBR KBN.N6C

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.1WQ0

Entry Name: Farmhouse and Attached Dairy at Easneye Dairy Farm 470 Metres North East of Mansion

Listing Date: 30 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355921

Location: Stanstead Abbots, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stanstead Abbots

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS HOLLYCROSS ROAD
(east side)
5/18 Farmhouse and attached
Dairy at Easneye Dairy
Farm
470 metres NE of mansion

GV II

Farmhouse and attached ornamental dairy. Circa. 1868 by
Waterhouse for T F Buxton of Easneye. Red brick with diapering
of black headers. Tilehung upper floor of farmhouse. Steep red
tile roofs. T-plan 2-storeys farmhouse with single storey rear
range linking to a tall single-storey octagonal buttressed
ornamental dairy at NE. Entrance to both through a recessed
logia on the N with blind pointed arcading on rear wall and 3-bay
arched braced timber front under an extension of the tiled roof.
Farmhouse jettied on N on moulded brick corbells with moulded
bressumer and bargeboard to gable over. Small wooden casements
under segmental arches. Cusped tilehanging in apex of gable.
Clustered octagonal shafts to tall central chimney. The design
is similar to Waterhouses's Double Lodge for Easneye of 1866
(q.v.). Dairy has 3-light chamfered brick traceried windows with
leaded glazing in cathedral glass under a single equilatereral
arch on 4 front faces. Diagonal buttresses with tumbled brick
offsets, moulded plinth and string course and corbelled
ornamental eaves courses, supporting a cast iron gutter trough.
Finial and 4 small gabled vents. Interior of dairy vaulted with
stone ribs rising from corbels and red and black brick panels
below a moulded string at high sill level blue tiling with
impressed Gothic geometric pattern down to white marble bench all
round supported on chamfered timber brackets with cooling pipes
under. Deep ornamental band at top of tiling of oxblood slips
and white on blue flower scroll with frieze of lobed geometric
pattern tiles in blue. Encaustic tile pattern floor, mainly red
with black net and buff junctions. Border of diamond set black
tiles on white ground with red and buff bands each side. An
impressive picturesque group. The ornamental dairy is of
exceptional interest.


Listing NGR: TL3836213813

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.