This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1842 / 51°11'3"N
Longitude: 1.2358 / 1°14'9"E
OS Eastings: 626234
OS Northings: 147753
OS Grid: TR262477
Mapcode National: GBR W0S.M9C
Mapcode Global: VHLH3.CHPJ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049052
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178633
Location: Shepherdswell with Coldred, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Shepherdswell with Coldred
Built-Up Area: Shepherdswell
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 NE SHEPERDSWELL & COLDRED THE GREEN
2/104 Church of
Parish Church. 1863 by Benjamin Ferrey. Flint with Bath stone and with
plain tiled roof. Canted apsidal chancel, nave and north and south
chapels. Paired lancets and plate tracery throughout, with lancets,
offset buttresses and corbel table to banded tiled roof in apse. Interior:
roof trusses supported on carved head corbels. Continuous double wave
moulded chancel arch, with inner chamfered arch on black marble attached
shafts. Contemporary fittings. Glass in nave south window by Kempe,
1900. Monuments (all reset from earlier church). Ann Petit, d.1676.
Black marble wall plaque with pediment; enriched with foliage and wreaths.
William Merryweather, d.1702, and family. Large black and white wall
plaque in south chapel in form of double tablet with bolection moulded
surround enriched with acanthus, with central cartouche and dentil cornice
over. Four more plaques to the family set below. John Lownde, d.1754.
Wall plaque on nave south wall, in white marble with pediment, scrolled
sides and bracketted apron. Ann Elizabeth Frederick, d.1805, wall plaque
on nave north wall, in white marble with grey obelisk shaped background
with burning lamp carved over. Before 1863 was a simple 2 cell Romanesque
church, possibly that mentioned in Domesday. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983,
460; Church Guide, 1963).
Listing NGR: TR2619247815
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings