History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Owletts

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cobham, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3932 / 51°23'35"N

Longitude: 0.392 / 0°23'31"E

OS Eastings: 566510

OS Northings: 168734

OS Grid: TQ665687

Mapcode National: GBR NN5.PWH

Mapcode Global: VHJLR.R72S

Entry Name: Owletts

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356759

Location: Cobham, Gravesham, Kent, DA12

County: Kent

District: Gravesham

Civil Parish: Cobham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Cobham St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Meopham

Listing Text

TQ 66 NE COBHAM THE STREET
5/30 (north side)

27.8.52 Owletts

II*


Built in 1683/4 by Bonham Hayes. Red brick, moulded brick string course. Panelled
parapet added C18. Steeply pitched hipped tiled roof. Narrow end bays project to
form closets. Slight central projection. Seven sash windows and 3 dormers. Modern
porch with re-set panelled door. Engaged Doric columns, pediment and semi-circular
fanlight. Two steps with wrought iron handrails. Two massive panelled chimney stacks
dated 1683. Lead downpipes with heads inscribed G.G.1754. Three sash windows and
2 dormers to east and west facades. Large modern single-storey bay to east. Central
projection to north facade marking staircase with 2 tall "croise" windows with leaded
lights and 3 ox eye windows above. Two projections added by Sir Herbert Baker in 1925
and C19 wing added at north-west corner. Internally fine staircase and plaster
ceiling, bolection mouldings to fireplaces and panelling dated from 1684. In 1894 the
house passed to the Edmeades family of Nurstead then by marriage to the Baker family
until in 1938 Sir Herbert Baker who lived there gave it to the National Trust.


Listing NGR: TQ6651068734

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.