History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swanton Abbott, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7863 / 52°47'10"N

Longitude: 1.3588 / 1°21'31"E

OS Eastings: 626589

OS Northings: 326253

OS Grid: TG265262

Mapcode National: GBR WFX.8CM

Mapcode Global: WHMSW.V77B

Entry Name: Church of St. Michael

Listing Date: 16 April 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049172

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224170

Location: Swanton Abbott, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR10

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swanton Abbott

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Swanton Abbot St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Swanton Abbot

Listing Text

SWANTON ABBOTT
TG 22 NE
4/25 Church of St.Michael
16:4:55

- II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with stone dressings, slate roof.
West tower, nave with south porch, chancel. Embattled C14 west tower of 2
stages with diagonal buttresses; C19 2-light Decorated west window; cusped
openings to ringing chamber; Perpendicular and Decorated openings of 2 lights
to bell-openings; gargoyles. Square external stair turret with cruciform
and cusped lights to south-east corner. 4 bay buttressed nave with diagonal
buttresses to corners; 2 3-light Perpendicular windows with panel tracery
and 1 3-light Decorated window to both north and south sides; rood stair with
quatrefoil light to north-east nave bay; gargoyles; parapet. Buttressed
chancel of 2 bays with diagonal buttresses at the angles; 2 3-light
Perpendicular windows, hood moulds with figure-stops, alternate brick and
flint voussoirs. C15 unbuttressed south porch to first nave bay with some
chequerwork to base, doorway with castellated abaci, niche over doorway with
tracery and shields in the spandrels under square hood mould; arch-braced
roof. North and south doorways to nave having plain jambs merging into
voussoirs with hollows and rolls, hood moulds over. Medieval south door with
iron door ring. Interior. Narrow tower arch with polygonal shafts. 2
corbels with angels at west end. Arch-braced roof mostly of 1953. Chancel
arch with polygonal shafts. Ogee-arched cusped piscina. Rood screen heavily
restored 1906-13; figure painting of C15 now facing chancel. Pulpit with
some medieval carving. Fragments of early coloured glass. Font probably
C15, bowl with quatrefoil motif.


Listing NGR: TG2658926253

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.