History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Barningham Winter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Matlask, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8757 / 52°52'32"N

Longitude: 1.1885 / 1°11'18"E

OS Eastings: 614665

OS Northings: 335680

OS Grid: TG146356

Mapcode National: GBR VC6.M9G

Mapcode Global: WHLR3.7Z58

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Barningham Winter

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049180

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224084

Location: Matlask, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Matlask

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Barningham Winter St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Baconsthorpe

Listing Text

MATLASKE BARNINGHAM
TQ 13 NW
3/65 Church of St. Mary,
Barningham Winter
4.10.60
GV II*

Parish church in grounds of Barningham Hall. Medieval and 1830, partly
ruined. Flint with some iron conglomerate, plain tiles. West tower, nave
and south porch in ruins. Chancel in use with west addition of 1830.
Diagonal buttresses with stone dressings to full height tower; west window
and bell stage windows of 2 lights with cusped heads under a quatrefoil;
tall arch to nave with chamfered jambs and polygonal shafts; octagonal Purbeck
marble font with sloping faces on a fat octagonal stem. Roofless south porch;
marble coffin lid at threshold; moulded arch of jambs only with inner round
shafts and capitals. South doorway has hollow chamfered arch with shallow
roll moulding. North doorway of hollow chamfered arch on plain chamfered
jambs. Diagonal buttresses to nave; no north opening; no south wall. Addition
of 1830 within nave of knapped and galletted flint with plain tiles to roof;
crow stepped gables with medieval pierced stone quatrefoil and embattled
parapet; west doorway of 4-centred arch having foliage and Mott arms in
spandrels, lable stops inscribed ITM (John Thurston Mott 1785 - 1847) and
dated 1830; 3-light window above under 4-centred arch. Chancel of uncoursed
flint with diagonal buttresses. Crow stepped gables in red brick, embattled
parapet in gault brick; small blocked opening in west wall with brick
dressings; two 2-light Reticulated traceried windows to north and south,
those to north side renewed. Central blocked priests door to south has ogee
head mould with trefoil finial. 3-light Reticulated east window. Interior:
boarded roof with carved bases of early C20. Gallery to west of chancel
arch in 1830 addition. Piscina and sedilia in one arcade with free standing
slender piers having double roll moulded arches under continuous hood mould,
trefoil headed 4th arch. Fragments of C15 glass in north window (west);
fragments of Dutch glass dated 1613 in north window, east, from Barningham
Hall inserted 1955; Charles I achievement in east window. Military brass
to John Wynter, c1412, London D, on south wall, restored and mounted on wood.
Memorial reredos in Portland stone showing soldiers of 1914-18 war beneath
the cross.


Listing NGR: TG1466535680

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.