History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garibaldi Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Matlask, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8746 / 52°52'28"N

Longitude: 1.1967 / 1°11'48"E

OS Eastings: 615225

OS Northings: 335582

OS Grid: TG152355

Mapcode National: GBR VC6.PD1

Mapcode Global: WHLR9.C03K

Entry Name: Garibaldi Cottage

Listing Date: 20 February 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224088

Location: Matlask, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Matlask

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Barningham Winter St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Plumstead

Listing Text

MATLASKE BARNINGHAM
TG 13 NE
4/69 Garibaldi Cottage
II
Keepers Cottage, 1860. Brick, plain tiled roof with courses and patterns
of fish scale tiles. L-shaped. Single storey and attic. South front of
2 bays, that to left gabled. 4-light window with transoms to ground and
attic floors, that to ground floor in projecting bay below half timbered
jettied attic; bressumer inscribed "BUILT · IN · YE · YEAR · THAT ·
GARIBALDI · ROSE · TO · FREE · ITALIA · FROM · HER · FOREIGN · FOES". Arch
braced barge boards, the lower spandrels carved: to left, Garibaldi; landing
at Palermo; to right, Victor Emmanuel greeting Garibaldi. Upper spandrels
bear shields with ITM (John Thomas Mott) and crescent (Mott arms). Wrought
iron finial of rose, shamrock and thistle surmounted by an estoile (Mott
crest). Door to right under smaller gable. Three window lights above
between timber frame studs. Corner post with carved statue of Garibaldi
dated 1861; brass plaque inscribed "Il liberatore dell Italia". Gable to
right of east facade as for south front; barge boards with lower spandrel
carvings of pheasant to left and guns to right; similar wrought iron finial
but with initials ITM instead of estoile. North and west sides both have
brick pilaster strips to upper walls, external stacks with 4 hexagonal linked
shafts with oversailing caps.


Listing NGR: TG1522535582

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.