History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stody, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8772 / 52°52'38"N

Longitude: 1.067 / 1°4'1"E

OS Eastings: 606488

OS Northings: 335492

OS Grid: TG064354

Mapcode National: GBR T9Q.LLS

Mapcode Global: WHLR1.CYB3

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 20 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224103

Location: Stody, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR24

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Stody

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hunworth

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Holt

Listing Text

STODY HUNWORTH
TG 03 NE
2/90
Church of St. Lawrence
4.10.60
II*

Parish church, medieval. Coursed flint, lead roof. West tower, nave,
chancel, south chapel and south porch. Tower: diagonal buttresses with
flushwork; embattled parapet with flushwork; gargoyles to north and south;
renewed west window of 2 cusped lights under multicusped quatrefoil; small
stone Celtic cross above; bell openings of two ogee headed lights under a
quatrefoil, central mullions to west and south window lost. South porch
of galletted flint; pantile roof; flushwork on diagonal buttresses; moulded
porch arch of 3 orders, the front and rear with slender shafts. Pointed
south doorway with roll moulded hood mould. C11 blocked round headed window
splayed outwards to south nave. C15 South Chapel of galletted courses of
knapped flints alternating with whole iron stained flints; windows with
ogee headed lights with panel tracery under pointed segmental arch, 4 lights
to south, 2 to west, 3 to east. Gargoyle to east wall. Chancel renewed;
of pebble flint; east window C19, of 3 lancets with external shafts and
flowing tracery. 4 stepped buttresses in brick to north nave wall of rendered
coursed flint. North doorway with continuous hollow chamfer, label stops
of devil's heads; one 'Y' tracery window, one 2-light window with panel
tracery. Interior: open rafter roof with shaped wall braces renewed;
South Chapel with C15 moulded roof beams. Pointed chancel arch 2 hollow
chamfers and ogee moulding round shafts. North nave wall: roll moulding
and hollow chamfers to 3-light window; small vaulted niche across arris
of window splay. Plain octagonal font on octagonal stem with moulded base
and cap. Large black marble ledger slabs to Edmund Britiffe and wife, 1726,
and with achievement to Edmund Britiffe, 1770, 'Paymaster of his Majesty's
Exchequer bills', and sister.


Listing NGR: TG0648835492

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.