History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Severals Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Wood Norton, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8202 / 52°49'12"N

Longitude: 0.9793 / 0°58'45"E

OS Eastings: 600848

OS Northings: 328898

OS Grid: TG008288

Mapcode National: GBR S91.2F3

Mapcode Global: WHLRD.0CLT

Entry Name: Severals Grange

Listing Date: 6 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049200

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224032

Location: Wood Norton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR20

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Wood Norton

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Wood Norton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wood Norton

Listing Text

TG 02 NW WOOD NORTON

6/120 Severals Grange.

II

Farmhouse. Mid C19. Red brick, red pantiled roof. 2 storey, 3 bay house.
2 ground and 3 first floor sashes with glazing bars under central 6 panel
door, all openings under flat rubbed brick arches. Built by William Skinner
Phillipo, an independently minded and free thinking farmer, opponent of land-
lords and the Game Laws; his initials WP and the date (1854 reported but now
missing) form purlin irons on east gable. Brick dentil eaves cornice, battle-
mented parapets, 2 end stacks. Over the door a mock coat of arms in statuary
marble with inscription "The Armorial bearings of W.S. Phillipo Esq" signed
"J Blyth sc(ulptor) Fakenham" with "Agincourt" and "Liberty and Fraternity".
He claimed descent from Henry V's standard bearer at the battle of Agincourt
(1415) and from Matthias de Phillipeaux at the battle of Hastings (1066) see
W.S. Phillipo "Armorial bearings of Phillipo"(c,1875). He also built barns
here and at Phillipo's Farm, Barney, Fulmodeston.


Listing NGR: TG0084828898

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.