History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Corpusty and Saxthorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8208 / 52°49'14"N

Longitude: 1.1373 / 1°8'14"E

OS Eastings: 611493

OS Northings: 329417

OS Grid: TG114294

Mapcode National: GBR TBL.0CS

Mapcode Global: WHLRG.FCTC

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224038

Location: Corpusty and Saxthorpe, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Corpusty and Saxthorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Saxthorpe with Corpusty

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Corpusty

Listing Text

CORPUSTY NORWICH ROAD
TG 12 NW
9/4 Church of St. Peter,
Corpusty
4.10.60
II*
Derelict Parish church. Medieval, restored 1891. Flint with stone dressings.
Pantile roof. Tower, continuous nave and chancel, south porch. West tower
of 3 stages with embattled parapet and diagonal buttresses; 3-light
Perpendicular west window with panel tracery restored; tracery incomplete
to bell openings; north opening of 2 cuspheaded lights beneath a quatrefoil;
hood moulds of rendered brick. South porch: corrugated tile roof, south
face restored with knapped flints, moulded arch on corbels, blocked niche
above; C13 marble coffin lid at threshold; opening each side of 2 cuspheaded
lights under square hood moulds; rendered brick side benches; C15 open rafter
roof with moulded beams, restored C19. South doorway of continuous moulding
under hood mould. South side 4 openings, 2 to nave, 2 to chancel, north
side 3 openings, each of 2 cusped lights under curvilinear tracery, all
unglazed, some tracery of rendered brick. Perpendicular of east window of
4 lights with panel tracery in rendered brick. North doorway with strap
hinge terminating in two outward curves. Blocked arch way in north wall with
brick soffit. Interior: King post nave roof, chancel roof of open rafter
construction with ashlar plates. C15 blocked archway in north wall with
chamfered arch and polygonal sideshafts of rendered brick. Archway in south
wall to roof stair with figure stops to hood mould. Cuspheaded piscina.
Tall C15 arch to tower with polygonal shafts. C15 style font, octagonal
on octagonal stem with quatrefoils on the faces. C17 communion rails with
Large bobbin turned balusters, now under tower. Fittings removed. Church
is in the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches.


Listing NGR: TG1149329417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.