This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8645 / 52°51'52"N
Longitude: 1.1088 / 1°6'31"E
OS Eastings: 609357
OS Northings: 334200
OS Grid: TG093342
Mapcode National: GBR T9Y.K3D
Mapcode Global: WHLR8.0889
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 20 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224041
Location: Edgefield, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR24
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Edgefield
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TG 03 SE
6/11 Church of St Peter
and St Paul
Parish church, 1883-4 by J.D. Sedding incorporating much fabric and fittings
of earlier church 900m. to north-west (qv 6/10). Flint and iron conglomerate
with stone dressings, slate roof, lead roof to aisles and porch. Nave and
chancel in one, north and south aisles, north porch, north-east tower, south-
east vestry. East walls of flint with brick courses; 7-light window of 1884.
Courses of flint and stone chequerwork to clerestorey and aisle walls. 1884
clerestory windows of 2 lights with panel tracery, 5 to south, 4 to north.
C14 west window of 4 lights with reticulated tracery beneath hood mould,
(the east window of the former church). The aisle windows incorporate
mullions and tracery from former church: north chapel, 3-light Perpendicular
window with ogee headed lights; north aisle two 3-light windows with simple
panel tracery and no hood mould; south aisle, three 3-light windows (probably
cut down) under low segmental arches. North porch: moulded 2-centre arch
with side shafts, two 2-light cuspheaded windows with hollow chamfered
mullions under flat arches with square hood moulds, all from former church.
C19 doorway. C20 north-east tower: unbuttressed in 3 stages; embattled
parapet; uncoursed iron stained flint; small north doorway with medieval
hood mould having figure stops; partially projecting turret to 1st stage
north side. 2-light bell openings. Clock on north side across opening.
Interior: nave of 3 bays with original C15 arcades from old church, octagonal
piers to north, quatrefoil piers to south, all under chamfered arches.
2 bay chancel of 1884 with continuous blank arches to south, one blank to
north; clerestorey windows. C17/18 square floor tiles. C13 octagonal font
bowl in Purbeck marble with blank arcading; colonaded stem and steps of
1884. C15 chancel screen, with painted panel tracery, panels renewed;
fragments of screen under tower and in north chapel. Part of painted chantry
parclose screen to south aisle, 1526; no tracery; panels depict donors;
defaced inscription "(orate pro anima) Willim : C... Harstong: uxoris :
eius : anno : dni : MCCCCC : xxiiiiii". South aisle piscina from old church
with multicusped Decorated head. Trefoil headed piscina in chancel formerly
water stoup by nave door of old church. Drawings of old church displayed
Listing NGR: TG0935734200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings