History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hempstead, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8896 / 52°53'22"N

Longitude: 1.1271 / 1°7'37"E

OS Eastings: 610470

OS Northings: 337038

OS Grid: TG104370

Mapcode National: GBR T9L.XCY

Mapcode Global: WHLR2.8MYM

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049211

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224054

Location: Hempstead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hempstead

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hempstead All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Edgefield

Listing Text

HEMPSTEAD
TG 13 NW
3/25 Church of All Saints
4.10.60
II*

Parish church, C14 and later, altered and re-roofed in C18. Coursed flint
and brick with black glazed pantile roof. North-west tower and vestry,
nave (formerly south aisle) with apse, south porch. Tower: medieval east
half of flint, west half rebuilt in brick, dated 1744 on plaque on south
side; brick parapet; bell openings on all 4 sides in honeycombed brick;
2 large stepped buttresses in brick to west. Medieval gargoyle
incorporated into low flint lean-to under pantiles to west. Buttress to
south of tower in undressed flint. West wall of nave in galletted coursed
flint; brick parapet to gable; early C14 2-light window under trefoil.
Nave walls of coursed flint; eaves rebuilt in brick with dentil cornice;
2 windows each side of 3 lights with plain heads, the mullions, some
renewed, are medieval with tracery removed. Two C18 slanting brick
buttresses to north. One brick and flint buttress of 1925 to south wall.
Brick east gable surmounted by cross. Thatched apse of 1925 in pebble
flint with brick dressings; two narrow round headed lights; east window
of 1876 in C14 style repositioned in apse, 2 lights under a trefoil, label
stops of foliage. Porch with plain rendered brick arch; brick gable
surmounted by cross; quoins of alternating narrow bricks and flints. South
door with deep continuous ogee moulding under hood mould. Vestry to east
of tower, of rendered flint with lean-to roof of black glazed pantiles
to present nave has north doorway, with internal rear arch, now blocked
and part glazed, with hollow chamfered continuous moulding and deeply rolled
hood mould. Interior: C18 west galley supported by earlier moulded joists;
large rendered round headed arch to vestry, possibly C18; tall plain
tower arch to vestry; one medieval bench with multilated poppy heads;
late C17/early C18 communion table with renewed top; communion rails
incorporate thin C18 barley sugar balusters; chancel fittings of 1876;
one medieval encaustic tile by door.


Listing NGR: TG1047037038

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.