History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thursford, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8651 / 52°51'54"N

Longitude: 0.9459 / 0°56'45"E

OS Eastings: 598394

OS Northings: 333797

OS Grid: TF983337

Mapcode National: GBR S8D.CYJ

Mapcode Global: WHLR5.H7NX

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 6 March 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049238

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224018

Location: Thursford, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR21

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Thursford

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Thursford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Thursford

Listing Text

TF 93 SE THURSFORD

2/106 Church of St. Andrew.
6/3/59
II*

Parish Church. c.1200 north door. C14 west tower. Flint, stone
dressings, tiled roofs. Largely a High Victorian rebuilding c.1862-1865
by W. Lightly. West tower, nave and aisles, north porch, chancel with south
Family tribune, north vestry. Decorated west tower with set off angle
buttresses to west face, 4 2-light belfry windows, battlemented parapets.
North aisle and porch of 1865, Perpendicular style details. At junction
of north aisle and chancel a vestry under hipped roof, with one re-used
Decorated window, 2 Cl9 lancets. Fish scale tile patterns, ornamental
cresting to nave and chancel. Interior: north door arch c.1200, door c.1865
with distinctive metal banding. Nave with 2 bay 1865 north arcade, "Early
French" details, 4 bay south arcade with octagonal piers with square bases
and capitals, simple arches with single hollow chamfer, perhaps Perpendicular,
perhaps High Victorian. Arched braced 5 bay nave roof, plastered between
rafters, aisle roofs plastered with trusses pierced with cinquefoils. Chancel
and south transept tribune of 1865. Chancel arch on corbels. Large Early
English detailed wooden pulpit and stalls, arched braced boarded roof.
Tesellated floors, mosaic reredos, 3 light east window with stained glass
of 1862 either by Rev. Arthur Moore (Pevsner BOE North East Norfolk and
Norwich p.332) or by Arthur Moore M. Harrison Victorian Stained Glass (1980)
p.52 anticipating the William Morris style. 2-light north and south windows
1873 by Powell, designed by Wooldridge. To south family tribune with 3 bay
Early English style open screen with paired and coupled detached shafts of
pink sandstone capitals and arches. Dying arch to nave, with inscription
"this church was restored ... in memory of Sir Charles Chad 1865", quadri-
partite arched braced roof, grissaille glass in south window. Carved font
1865.


Listing NGR: TF9839433797

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.