This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8511 / 52°51'4"N
Longitude: 1.0614 / 1°3'41"E
OS Eastings: 606234
OS Northings: 332573
OS Grid: TG062325
Mapcode National: GBR TB2.C4P
Mapcode Global: WHLR7.8LPL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 March 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049239
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223914
Location: Briston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR24
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Briston
Built-Up Area: Briston
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Briston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 03 SE BRISTON CHURCH STREET
Church of All Saints.
Parish Church. Largely Decorated church of c.1300 with early C19 roofs and
bell cote. Flint with some carstone rubble, stone dressings, slated roofs.
Nave and chancel, formerly with north aisle, nave clerestorey and west tower.
West front presumably rearranged after demolition of round tower in 1785 with
Decorated door and Decorated 3 light window with reticulated tracery. Set
off angle buttresses. Stock brick bell cote of c.1800. Nave south side with
one 4-light Decorated and one 3-light Perpendicular window. Blocked south
door with outline of former porch roof visible. 2 buttresses, at junction
of nave and chancel containing rood stairs. Nave north side with 2 re-used
3-light Perpendicular windows built up in former north arcade. Filled in
clerestorey openings visible below brick modillion eaves of c.1800 roof.
Chancel south side with one 3 light and one 2 light Decorated window and one
3-light straight headed Decorated window. South priest's door and single
buttress. Chancel north side with one 2 light straight headed Decorated window
With drip mould and label stops. Mid C19 single storey gabled north vestry.
East gable of chancel with 2 set off angle buttresses and 5-light Decorated
reticulated tracery east window. Interior: nave with filled in 5 bay north
arcade with octagonal piers and double hollow chamfered arches. Chancel arch
with semi-octagonal half-columns with battlemented collars and double hollow
chamfered arch. Chancel weeping to north with c.1300 double piscina with
cusped ogee arches and sedelia with cinquefoil ogee arches. Screen 1877.
Nave roof of c.l8OO with open rafters and tie beams, chancel roof mid C19
coved and boarded. Mid C19 font.
Listing NGR: TG0623432573
Other nearby listed buildings