History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindolveston, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8234 / 52°49'24"N

Longitude: 1.0134 / 1°0'48"E

OS Eastings: 603135

OS Northings: 329348

OS Grid: TG031293

Mapcode National: GBR S8W.YX8

Mapcode Global: WHLRD.J9TC

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 6 March 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049253

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223947

Location: Hindolveston, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR20

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Hindolveston

Built-Up Area: Hindolveston

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Hindolveston St George

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Hindolveston

Listing Text

TG 02 NW HINDOLVESTON CHURCH LANE

6/36 Church of St. George.

6/3/59 II

1932-3 by H. J. Green, replacing and incorporating details from the previous
church. Flint with brick and stone dressings, red tiled roof. 2 bay nave,
north and south transepts, 2 bay chancel, north porch and south vestry,
incorporating in north porch, in south transept west doors stone from previous
church. Interior: nave with 3 partly re-assembled Perpendicular octagonal
columns with bases and octagonal capitals. Chancel with 2 Perpendicular half
column piers. Niches in chancel made up of odd fragments. C15 stone octagonal
font with crowned M and T monograms to shaft, bowl with Evangelists' symbols,
3 coats and arms and crucifixion, all damaged. 1568 brass mounted on wall
with kneeling donors, other partly classical partly gothic detailed brasses
all mounted on nave wall. Rood figures over altar by Miss Lillian Dagless.
Trussed roof with central king posts. Included for fragments and furnishings
from the former church of St George.


Listing NGR: TG0313529348

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.