This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7784 / 52°46'42"N
Longitude: 1.6173 / 1°37'2"E
OS Eastings: 644057
OS Northings: 326227
OS Grid: TG440262
Mapcode National: GBR YMM.V04
Mapcode Global: WHMT0.TF9B
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 16 April 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223679
Location: Sea Palling, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR12
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sea Palling
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sea Palling with Waxham
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 42 NW SEA PALLING CHURCH ROAD
3/44 Church of St. John
Parish church. Nave C12 in origin, altered C13, remodelled C14 when chancel
built (chancel now ruined). C15 west tower. Bequests for construction of
south porch 1477 and 1485. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 3
stage tower supported on diagonal buttresses to ringing chamber. West window
blocked with brick. String course between ground and ringing chamber stages.
Square traceried ventilation panels to ringing chamber. Set-back belfry with
louvred windows. Flushwork parapet. Polygonal stair tower to south-east.
Gabled south porch with diagonal buttresses. Roll moulded outer arch within
square hood, the spandrels with tracery. Above is frieze of sheilds in
diamond panels. In gable a statuary niche. 2-light porch side windows are
C19. 3 2-light nave south windows. One buttress to east with brick repairs.
Flat eastern nave buttresses. North nave blank except for arched lancet to
west of rendered buttress and wave moulded north doorway. Blocked chancel
arch : double chamfered with polygonal responds. Priests' door in south
side. Interior. Tall blocked tower arch now with low doorway only. C14
octagonal font on ashlar plinth and circular brick base. Stem panels ogeed.
Encircled quatrefoils in bowl. Blocked north door. Simple C19 nave roof.
Banner staff locker in north wall and remains of round arched C12 window,
blocked. Also in north wall fine wall monument to Thomas Wodehouse, 1571.
Painted ashlar. Arcaded plinth. Tomb chest with recessed panels, each with
further alternately circular or diamond shaped receses. In there recesses
raised shields and emblems. Over tomb chest a depressed arch flanked by
fluted and reeded Corinthian engaged columns. Arcaded frieze and cornice.
Coffered soffit of arch.
Listing NGR: TG4405726227
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings