This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9384 / 52°56'18"N
Longitude: 1.2243 / 1°13'27"E
OS Eastings: 616760
OS Northings: 342759
OS Grid: TG167427
Mapcode National: GBR VBG.Y19
Mapcode Global: WHLQX.SD5P
Entry Name: Abbey Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223246
Location: Beeston Regis, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR26
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Beeston Regis
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Beeston Regis
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
BEESTON REGIS CROMER ROAD
TG 14 SE
2/8 Abbey Farmhouse
House. Late C18 with earlier core. On site of south range of conventual
buildings of Beeston Regis Priory q.v. No.2/7. Flint with brick dressings;
glazed black pantile roof. Rectangular, 3-cell plan with C20 extension to rear.
Facade of 4 bays, 2 storeys. Casements replaced c1980 with those of late C18
form having 4 lights and transom; rendered rusticated reveals, renewed c1980,
previously had keystones, double to ground floor. Pedimented doorcase, renewed
c1980, C19 doorway to right of fourth bay. Evidence of earlier openings to
ground and first floors. Brick dentil eaves cornice of 3-header type. 2 axial
stacks, gable end stacks. Eastern gable wall rebuilt in flint with brick
banding and dated 1891. To rear, north west, corner a re-used C13 column base.
To upper floor, eastern end, a 6-light diamond mullion window revealed during
restoration. Interior. Small passageway with domed plaster vault, narrow ribs
and a rose. Western ground floor room with apsidal end, flanked by doorways.
Features said to have been revealed during restoration include remains of
timber frame of heavy scantling revealed in north wall: first floor principal
beams with wide chamfers in central and eastern rooms, possibly of early C16:
evidence that a single-storey western bay was added c1700, heightened to 2
storeys in late C18. 2 axial stacks off-centre, now corbelled-out to late C18
ridge line, possibly when rear outshut incorporated under new roof.
Listing NGR: TG1676042759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings