This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9021 / 52°54'7"N
Longitude: 1.3361 / 1°20'9"E
OS Eastings: 624458
OS Northings: 339065
OS Grid: TG244390
Mapcode National: GBR WDJ.2LX
Mapcode Global: WHMS9.HBF0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224681
Location: Northrepps, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Northrepps
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Northrepps St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2439 NORTHREPPS CHURCH STREET
9/19 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Medieval. Flint with stone dressings. Tile and lead roofs.
West tower, nave,north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry.
Embattled tower of 4 stages, its building mentioned in wills,1475-87.
Diagonal buttresses. Flushwork base. West doorway with chamfered reveal,
arch with rolls and hollows with fillets; encircled quatrefoils in the
spandrels. Frieze over, with crowned Ms and IHSs on panels alternating
with knapped flint. West window of 3 lights with panel tracery, restored
in hood mould C19, continuing to form string course. Square ringing chamber
openings with cusped quatrefoil tracery; hood moulds. 3-light bell openings
with panel tracery. Gargoyles. Battlements mentioned in wills of 1523
and 1526 again with crowned Ms and IHSs; finals with crockets. Stair turret
to south east corner with quatrefoil lights. Nave of 4 bays. Buttressed
north aisle with diagonal buttresses. North doorway with roll moulding;
2 C19 2-light windows under 4-centred arches with alternate brick and flint
voussoirs, 1 restored window of 2 lights with square head; hood mould.
West window of 3 lights with triangular head. Stone parapet. Lead roof.
South aisle has similar windows but west window of 3 lights with panel
tracery, east window of 3 lights with panel tracery. Stone parapet. North
and south clerestoreys each have 4 2-light C19 windows under 4-centred
arches with alternate brick and flint voussoirs. Buttressed chancel
has C19 vestry to north. To the south 2 square-headed windows of 2 cusped
lights with embattled transoms restored in C19; 2 lancets. C19 east-window
of 3 lights. Buttressed south porch with single cusped lights with hood
moulds to east and west. Stone parapet gable. Porch doorway has an outer
order of continuous moulding enclosing shafts with polygonal abaci, the
arch having wave moulding. Medieval arch-braced porch roof. Doorway to
nave with roll and fillet moulding; hood mould. Door with C14 ironwork
cross and hinges. Interior. C14 4-bay arcade of octagonal shafts,
bases and abaci, arch with 2 chamfered orders. Nave roof greatly restored
in C19; wall posts with polygonal bases and abaci on embattled corbels,
longitudinal braces; traceried ashlaring. Arch- braced aisle roofs restored
in C19. Large tower arch the full width of the tower has shafts with rolls
in the angles, polygonal bases and abaci; inner order of arch on corbels
possibly C19. Cusped piscina in south aisle. Stoup beside south door.
Chancel arch with polygonal shafts and 2 chamfered orders. C19 arcade
in north chancel wall. Small brick aumbrey. Large splays to lancets.
C19 roof. Some re-used poppy-head bench ends, some box pews. Restored
Medieval screen with paint removed, upper parts renewed. C18 pulpit. Arms
of George III. Much restored C14 font with endircled quatrefoils on bowl.
Listing NGR: TG2445839065
Other nearby listed buildings