History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newgate Farm House

A Grade II Listed Building in Cley Next the Sea, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9453 / 52°56'43"N

Longitude: 1.0497 / 1°2'58"E

OS Eastings: 604998

OS Northings: 343010

OS Grid: TG049430

Mapcode National: GBR T8X.86B

Mapcode Global: WHLQV.373D

Entry Name: Newgate Farm House

Listing Date: 30 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224597

Location: Cley Next the Sea, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Cley Next The Sea

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Cley St Margaret St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Wiveton

Listing Text

TG 04 SE CLEY NEXT THE SEA HOLT ROAD, NEWGATE

3/53 Newgate Farm House

GV II


Farmhouse, dated 1685. Coursed flint with brick dressings; front rendered
and colourwashed under corrugated tiles, pantiles to rear. Steep roof pitch.
Single range, 4 bays, 2 storeys. Gable parapets, central axial and internal
gable end stacks - that to right renewed. Front: forward single storey
C19 extension to first bay in colourwashed flint /brick mosaic; door to third
bay has narrow flat lead canopy with shaped wooden brackets; 3-light case-
ments under segmental heads either side; 3 small 2-light casements to first
floor. Rear: In two builds, vertical quoins between bays 2 and 3; coursed
flint with brick mosaic to right, coursed flint to left with uncoursed flint
and brick above; scattered casement fenestration, all windows renewed;
ground floor window to 2nd bay under square brick hood mould, that to 4th
bay under segmental head; door to 3rd bay. Right hand gable to road in
coursed flint and brick mosaic with brick pattern work of hearts and lozenges
infilled with knapped flint, date of 1685 in brick, 2 low blocked windows
to attic floor. Left hand gable has rebuilt top, two hoodless square windows
with fixed glazing bars to attic. Interior: large gable end fireplace to
first bay with cambered bressumer; massive principal beams to 2nd bay,
bridging beam with large jewel stopped chamfers; small bridging beam with
decorative stops to third bay; ovolo moulded principal beams to 4th bay,
staircase to front of stack. Steep roof of 3 tier butt purlin construction,
collars renewed. Forward extension to first bay has dairy to north complete
with original fittings.


Listing NGR: TG0499843010

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.