This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8991 / 52°53'56"N
Longitude: 1.152 / 1°9'7"E
OS Eastings: 612096
OS Northings: 338168
OS Grid: TG120381
Mapcode National: GBR T9M.B1C
Mapcode Global: WHLR2.NDRB
Entry Name: Remains of Baconsthorpe Castle
Listing Date: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224554
Location: Baconsthorpe, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Baconsthorpe
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Baconsthorpe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 13 NW BACONSTHORPE
7/1 Remains of Baconsthorpe
Remains of castle, c.1460-86, built for John Heydon (died 1480) and Sir Henry
Heydon (died 1504). Flint with some brick. Square court 30m across, complete
curtain walls reduced to 3-4 metres, central 3-storeyed gatehouse to south;
remains of roofless 2 storey range to east; moat to south, west and north,
wide mere to east. Roofless gatehouse of 3 bays with central 2-storeyed
projection for draw bridge, coursed knapped and galletted flint, string
course at 1st floor, 4-centred arch opening to left and right, ground floor,
having moulded stone surrounds under voussoirs of alternate flint and tiles;
2 openings to 1st floor, three to 2nd floor include stone mullioned 2-light
window with 4 centred heads as now in Baconsthorpe Hall (qv 7/2). Brick
culverts to moat from below ground floor gardrobes, single to left, double
to right. Passageway with remains of tierceron stone vaulting, 4-centred
stone doorways to left and right rooms each with brick groined vaults.
Remants of stair turret at rear to west. Remnants of 2-storeyed range along
east wall, C16, in coursed galletted whole iron stained and knapped flints,
5 bays, central brick doorway with segmental arch, 4 renewed 4-light square
headed windows, mullions and transoms in wood. Remains of 3 storeyed square
tower at north corner, base of round tower to northwest corner, and two to
west wall. South wall, west, with 5 double loopholes. Castle was principal
residence of Heydon family, demolished after Civil War. S.E. Rigold:
Baconsthorpe Castle, H.M.S.0, 1966. Castle in care of English Heritage.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Norfolk: 144.
Listing NGR: TG1209638168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings