History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Baconsthorpe, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8878 / 52°53'15"N

Longitude: 1.1596 / 1°9'34"E

OS Eastings: 612667

OS Northings: 336933

OS Grid: TG126369

Mapcode National: GBR VBZ.S0Z

Mapcode Global: WHLR2.SPD0

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 13 October 1983

Last Amended: 30 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049850

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224562

Location: Baconsthorpe, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Baconsthorpe

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Baconsthorpe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Baconsthorpe

Listing Text

TG 13 NW BACONSTHORPE SCHOOL LANE

7/9 The Old School
13.10.83. (formerly listed as
The School, Church Lane)

II


Former school, now village hall, dated 1816. Pebble flint with brick
dressings; hipped roof corrugated tiles to front, black glazed pantiles to
sides, pantiles to rear. 3 bays with outshuts to rear. South front with
chamfered brick cap to flint plinth, dentil cornice, axial stack to right;
3 windows with rusticated brick jambs, central window of 6 lights under brick
pediment, inscription '1816 National School' within pediment; 3-light
casement to left with moulded brick pediment infilled with pebble flint;
later 4-light window to right under soldier arch. Large 5-light dormer window
under hipped roof to central bay. Early C20 large 4-light windows with
transoms to left and right returns. Entrance in outshut to left return having
4-centred brick arch containing fanlight with 3 vertical glazing bars above
door. Interior: 2 rooms of 1 and 2 bays, boarded roof, wainscot. Plan of
school unaltered since before 1867; left window and central pediment conform
to sketch design of 1816 in County Record office. (Ref. P/BG/5 for 1867,
PD 334/28 for 1815).


Listing NGR: TG1266736933

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.