This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9544 / 52°57'15"N
Longitude: 1.0433 / 1°2'35"E
OS Eastings: 604529
OS Northings: 344004
OS Grid: TG045440
Mapcode National: GBR T8Q.LMQ
Mapcode Global: WHLQN.0Z3Z
Entry Name: The Custom House
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Last Amended: 30 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1049861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224591
Location: Cley Next the Sea, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR25
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Cley Next The Sea
Built-Up Area: Cley next the Sea
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Cley St Margaret St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 0443 CLEY NEXT THE SEA HIGH STREET
9/44 The The Custom House (formerly
20.2.52. listed as Customs House)
House, set back from street, c.1700; pinkish brick with red brick dressings,
roof not visible behind parapet, 3 bays, double depth, 3 storeys and attic.
Asymmetrical facade to street: 2 flush sashes with glazing bars to each
floor, 4 x 4 panes to ground and first floor with skewback flat arches having
moulded band above; blocked openings to first and 2nd floors; doorway to
middle bay: stone fluted pilasters having capitals developing into brackets
supporting flat moulded canopy; 8 panelled door, upper 4 panels raised and
fielded, scalloped glazed fanlight; rectangular wooden panel above with
relief carving showing Cley Mill (qv 8/55) the Custom House and a boat being
laden. Elaborate moulded brick and brick dentil cornice; rendered stone
coped parapet, brick gable of shallow pitch asymmetrical to facade having
small central window. Rubbed brick decoration to arches of 2nd floor windows.
Passage-way to left under first bay, semi-circular conch head to arch having
rubbed brick keystone. Symmetrical facade to Quay: rendered to eaves, courses
of red and gault brick above to gable; 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Flush
sashes with glazing bars under segmental heads having moulded bands above,
2 each to ground first floor, 3 to second floor; . small central attic window.
6 panelled central door; flanking brick pilasters under steep brick pediment,
of rubbed brick decoration to lintel. Relief stone carving of St. George
and the Dragon above passage-way arch set back to right.
Listing NGR: TG0452944004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings